Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We all sat round in the kitchen in stunned silence, our breakfast and hangover's forgotten. We couldn't believe what had happened. Although no-one except Regina had known him directly the situation surrounding his death could have been any of ours.

We were the lucky ones. The ones with friends, and in most cases, families who loved and supported them when they came out. He had no-one. In that knowledge we were also guilty. We were the ones that should have known and prevented this tragedy from happening. Also guilty were the school and parents who turned a blind eye to the bullying that went on. We knew what the official line would be, depression or maybe deviant behaviour he'd bought it on himself.

I glanced up from the counter. I had been staring at it fixedly since Regina had broken the news. I moved my head around the room and caught the eyes of each of my friends in turn. Firstly Regina's, which were red rimmed from crying. Zendaya's were dark with anger. This was the look I also saw in Tori's and Kehlani's. I flinched at the deep hatred I saw in Camila's. Finally I came to Lauren. She looked broken and small, sheltering in Camila's arms.

I pushed myself off my stool, my breakfast forgotten. I felt sick to my stomach. I went over to where Camila and Lo were standing. I sought Camila's permission and opened my arms to Lauren. She came to me and I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her gently on the forehead. I kissed her eyelids and then her mouth.

I heard gasps from the girls in the room.

"Dinah..." Lauren whispered into my hair as she nestled into me and I held her close.

"You need to tell them," I stated quietly. I think only she heard.

She nodded then turned and looked at Camila.

"I'm sorry, something happened last weekend that you need to know about," she hung her head avoiding Camila's eyes. I kept my arms around her waist, offering my silent support.

Camila straightened up and crossed her arms across her chest her puzzlement turning to a frown.

"Lo?" She queried in a worried tone, all her usual self confidence missing. What Lauren was about to tell her wouldn't make her feel any better.

She pulled a crumpled piece of paper out of her pocket and hands it to Camila.

I watched her face as she read it. Even I wasn't prepared for the reaction from Camila.

"FUCK!" She yelled at the top of her voice then started crying. "Why didn't you tell me?' She asked turning damaged eyes on Lauren.

"I thought you'd get mad and do something stupid," Lauren whispered into the room.

"Ha!" Camila's throat barked bitter laugh out, it was raw and filled with pain.

The room was deadly silent. All eyes intently watching the dramatic scene. Kehlani made a move to come between me and Camila but I unobtrusively gestured her back. This needed dealing with now.

Camila looked at me holding Lauren.

"I'm sorry," I said. "She didn't want to tell you."

"But you did, right?" She asked me in a harsh tone. I nodded, looking her in the eye.

"You should have come straight to me." This time I shook my head.

"No, she's my friend. She comes first," I answered steadily meeting her steely gaze.

"Fuck you Dinah, you don't get to play with people's lives," She tossed the paper to the floor

With this she turned and left. I looked at Lauren who pulled free of my arms.