Chapter 10- Cupcakes

Start from the beginning

 An hour later I was in my truck happily driving to Kylah's house with a two bags of princess and truck toys in my back seat. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face as I pulled into Kylah's driveway. I turned the truck off before stuffing my keys in my pocket and jumping out my door. I opened the backdoor and grabbed the two bags of toys and the other bag with ingredients for a few recipes I love doing with kids and my change of clothes for tonight and tomorrow. I walked up the path of stones to her door and knocked swiftly, seeing as I couldn't open the door with my arms full.

"I'm coming!!" I heard Kylah yell, followed by a round of giggles. I rolled my eyes, chuckling as I thought of the possibilities of what the two girls could be laughing at.

 "I told you, you didn't have to bring anything!" Kylah huffed as she opened the door, taking the bag of ingredients and clothes out of my arms. I smiled gratefully before stepping inside the house. I jogged into the living room, where I saw Camden watching Cinderella with a little girl. As I saw the messy blonde curls, I knew exactly who I was babysitting.

"Aurora!" I yelped, running over and lifting her above my head.

"Bear!" she squealed with the same amount of excitement. I began throwing her in the air as she giggled with glee, her blonde curls that were once being held back by a clip now fell around her face, her crystal blue eyes alight with excitement.

 "How are you doing, sweet pea?" I smiled, holding her on my hip as I sat down on the couch.

"Me gweat." Aurora replied, unable to pronounce the "r" in great.

 "That's good, sweetie. Do you want to make some cupcakes??" I giggled as I saw her nod her head enthusiastically and jump off my lap, heading for the kitchen.

"How do you make kids so happy?! Do you know how long it took me to make her decide on a movie?!" Camden exclaimed, crossing his arms over his chest, his face set in a pout. I laughed loudly before ruffling his hair like a child and walking into the kitchen with a bounce in my step.

"Ready to make some yummy treats, sweet pea?" I asked, my voice soft and light as I saw Aurora smile.

 "Come on, Bear!!" she whined dragging my arm over to wear Kylah had placed all the ingredients I needed on the counter.

"Thanks, Hun." I smiled, looking at Kylah gratefully. "Do you want chocolate cupcakes or vanilla, sweet pea?"

 "Both, Bear!" Aurora giggled, looking at me pleadingly.

 I nodded my head with a soft smile on my face. "Let's get to work then!"

Two hours later Aurora and I were covered in flour and icing with big grins on our face. We had made over a half a dozen batches of cupcakes before Aurora decided she wanted to frost them. We made pink frosting for Aurora, purple frosting for me, green frosting for Kylah and Camden, and even blue frosting for Aurora's dad. It was safe to say we were a rainbow by the time we finished frosting all of the cupcakes and made our way into the living room where Kylah and Camden were snuggling together on the couch.

"Come look, Uncle Cammy!!" Aurora screamed, bouncing up and down in front of the two lovers.

 "Why are you covered in frosting and flour?" Camden asked, his face scrunched up in confusion.

 "I frosteded." she giggled, before dragging him into the kitchen to show off her cakes. I hope she never loses that innocence.

"What has got you all bent out of shape, babes?" Kylah questioned, her face full of concern.

"I just hope she never loses her innocence." I sighed, trying to put the happy mask back on my face, not wanting Ky to see how upset I was.

"I know, she's so precious and soon the world is going to take that from her." Ky whispered in reply, sorrow filling her features as she listened to Aurora ramble on to Camden about her cakes.