Chapter 25

(Amber's POV)

I almost smiled as I looked at him. His red hair now a dark brown shone in the light, he looked more handsome than I remembered. He smiled looking at me his eyes full of tears that he could let fall, then his gaze fell as he saw my lips, he frowned and his hand covered his mouth in shock. I mirrored him, taking my hand from Korse's grasp and covering my lips, embarrassed. He mouthed 'sorry' and I shook my head slightly, just enough so only he could see, this wasn't his fault. I saw him grab someone, it was Frank. My slight smile grew, as I saw Jet as well. They were all dressed in suits, blending in with the crowd. I swear I'd had never been happier to see these people. I looked for Kobra but he wasn't there, then I recalled the night I was taken. Was he ok? Dammit, I cursed in my head.

My attention was taken away from my family as Korse coughed into the microphone, it echoing through the hall. In that moment I looked down, looking away from everyone but I could feel so many eyes on me that it almost hurt like a thousand pricks at my skin. I heard countless whispers, repeating "Who is she?" "She looks a mess." More tears spilt over, embarrassment consuming me. I saw the drops hit the floor, seeing my reflection I was forced to look over to Korse, for once more afraid and embarrassed to look anywhere else. "Friends! Welcome!" He told the crowd. Everyone burst into cheers and applause, he was loved and I could see in his face he thrived off of it. He shook his hands, his sadistic face failing him as he 'humbly' shook his hands, asking them to stop.

"My friends, I thank you for coming this evening. After 6 years of success, I can't wait to let the celebrations begin but first I have an announcement." He paused allowing the crowd to cheer again. "Many of you countlessly ask me 'Korse, how are you so handsome?'" The crowd bellowed out laughter along with him at his sad little joke. "Oh wait, hang on, wrong question." He giggled. "'Korse how do you do it? How do you grow our brave armies, how do you continually keep us safe from the dreaded Killjoys?' Well, tonight that question will be answered. Tonight, I will reveal your true hero for these years of brilliance." I looked down, I knew exactly who he was talking about. I knew what I'd done, but I didn't want to do it. He wouldn't tell them that though, and I couldn't object anymore. I took in a deep breath trying to deal with the situation. 

"My friends, this is Amber, subject 478. She is probably the most precious thing on this planet right now. She is the one you all have to thank, she created our armies, she got rid of those pesky killjoys, she sacrificed her life, for our needed survival. The would was poisoned before we came and found a cure, all those drugs all those deaths meant something; the evolution of humanity. And we can thank her!" He pointed to me smiling as the audience went crazy. My face sank, I couldn't face them I turned round looking at that door ready to leave, I was ready to leave as soon as I entered. I ran for the door, surprising the robotically clapping Dracs, who didn't react quick enough to catch me. I reached the door and twisted the doorknob. 

My heart fell I couldn't feel it anymore, the door was locked. I turned around in fear, the audience staring shocked at me, I was meant to be their wretched savouir, why was I running away? I saw Korse's red enraged face, death was gleaming in his eyes. I didn't regret my decision, at least it showed the crowd I wasn't a volunteer, at least it showed the guys. I saw two of the three dracs coming for me, they grabbed my arms roughly, I could feel the bruises forming. They dragged me back as I thrashed around, feeling the thread tear on of my lips again, the blood dripping down my chin. 

I was placed next to Korse but the dracs' hands never left my arms. I heard a heckler in the crowd shout; "How do we know she's our hero?!" Korse's attention was drawn off me and he grinned evilly into the crowd. "Come up here young man, I will show you." The man started his walk to the stage, a smile playing on his face. Korse turned to me whispering  away from the microphone; "You'll get what you deserve darling." Then he laughed, throwing his head back.