Chapter 1

Amber's POV

There was just fog everywhere, it covered up the once busy streets of New York like thick snow. I couldn't see anything as I fanatically searched for my older brother and the only parent I had left. It was hopeless, nobody was around anymore and it was just me. As tears started to fall down my face, I felt truly lost and alone. I shouted and screamed for my family, "MUM!! MUM!! PLEASE!! FRANK?! FRANKIE!", but the lifeless streets gave no reply. At that moment out of nowhere someone ran past me and then disappeared back into the fog. And then another ran past, I tried to stop them to ask for help but at that moment millions more people came from nowhere and pushed past me, screaming in terror. This only scared me more, thankfully though with so many people running the mist finally starting to clear. As I tried to think on the spot vampire like beings emerged from the little fog left, gripping the weapon my brother had given me, I prepared for them to attack once again. Shaking a little as one of them made eye contact with me and gave me an evil smirk. A scream rose out my throat making the civilians around me stop and look at me, but only making the rest of what were being called Dracs or the soldiers of BL/ind stare at my shaking figure. Suddenly out of nowhere a figure emerged from the crowds and grabbed my hand, yelling at me to run. I did as the stranger ordered me and as we pushed through the once again running citizens I glanced at his face.

It was Frank.

I admired his face and dyed black hair, crying tears of joy as we made a sharp turn into an abandoned alleyway. Just as I was about to say something, he covered my mouth with his left hand as the other held a ray gun. It was identical to the one he had given me, green with random stickers plastered on. He held the gun up to his lips, as if it was a finger, signalling me to be quiet. I nodded and he removed his sweaty hand from my mouth, only to then push me against the alley wall and shield me from sight with his back. Just as I was about to complain the Dracs I saw before ran past, thankfully not giving a second look at the alleyway that concealed Frank and I. He looked into my hazel eyes with concern and then moved his head to look over his shoulder. As the noise of terrified screams and angry battle cries got quieter, Frank engulfed me in a hug. "I'm so sorry, Amber. I'm so sorry. Oh god! I'm so fucking glad to see you." I started crying onto his shoulder, muttering the odd it's not your fault and I'm so glad to see you too, I felt his silent tears drop onto my neck. The hug deepened and I just wanted to stay like that forever, never letting go. But as we started to hear the sounds of screams and ray guns reappear. Frank panicked and broke the hug, trying to hide the fact that he was scared shitless and had been crying. He once again took my hand in his and took me further into the dark alley, hoping we'd blend in with our black hair and dark clothing into the darkness at the back of the dead-end alley. Frank gripped my hand tight for reassurance as we both looked down the alley and to the slit of the main street that we could see. They were many lifeless bodies abandoned on the road, smoke rupturing from the deadly wounds they'd been given by the Dracs' ray guns. The different colour rays shot everywhere, not calming when it suddenly began to rain. Quickly small pools of rainwater formed on the uneven floor making a few people fall to the floor only to be murdered by a nearby Drac. Screams started to die down as the innocent people were shot down but there were still the faint yells from the few survivors. I wanted to help them but remembering what my father had told me of my blood made me think that if I came out of my hiding spot it would only make things worse for everyone. I started to shake more as my mind replayed my father's death.

We, me, Frank, Mum, and Dad, all sat on the sofa staring open-mouthed at the TV in front of us. The news had been paused on the screen but I could still hear the words of the newsreader, circling around my head. "Better Living Industries have taken most states only leaving Kentucky, Pennsylvania, New York and Connecticut unharmed by the industry. But the left over police are saying that the invading ranks of 'Dracs' on the move towards them. And it is predicted there shall be a strong and severe attack upon the city of New York. Civilians are being advised to stay below ground and to not try not to leave the area they are in when the attack begins or they will be killed." The broadcast had ended after that from my father pausing the TV. He and Mum had paled, the look of realisation plastered onto their faces.