Chapter 41: Vulnerable

Start from the beginning

"If you feel unwell anytime during the party make sure to tell me alright." He says to me after letting me go towards the mike in front of the room to give my speech.

I smile at everyone as they watch me go up the steps. Ethan stops to stand beside mom and she hands me the mike and tapping my shoulder in reassurance. I eye everyone in the room finding all my friends near the stage and smile at them.

I find Noah by the chocolate fountain, eying my moves and then turns his attention to the waiter giving him his strawberries. I then move my eyes away and see journalists that my mom invited.

I let out a shaky breathe before starting my speech, "I want to thank everyone who made it to my party. I'm excited for my future at Yale and glad a few of my friends will be attending with me. I would like to thank my mom for organizing this party today and also her best friend, Roselyn for designing this beautiful dress. I would also like to thank the rest of my family and friends for believing in me when I did not."

I stop and then look up feeling my eyes watering and chuckle at myself, "I'm getting emotional at what I about to share.....I've been hiding this secret from everyone here especially my friends. And I know after I say this my friends will throw a fit for not sharing this and probably stop talking to me but here it goes."

"Last year I didn't go to New york just because I wanted to broaden my horizons for my studies, try out modeling, and change the scenery around me but because....I needed to go to New york for my treatments for a disease I am fighting for almost two years now named Coronary Artery Disease or also known as CAD."

I immediately hear gasps and find all my friends looking at me with emotions of betrayal, hurt, and sadness. I feel my mom hug me from the side and I continue on with my speech. This was exactly how I imagined it since I decided to share this with everyone after getting out of the hospital.

"I started showing symptoms during June 2014 and I was diagnosed August 2014. I started my treatments in LA for one month and my family decided that it was better for me to do my treatments in New york, where my aunt works as a cardiologist. It was a miracle I even got into Yale since I missed about 5 weeks of school because of my treatments and rehab. After getting out of the hospital I started catching up on all my work in school and haven't shown any those serious signs, but yes once and a while those symptoms come back but nothing as serious as before." I quickly say reassuring my friends specifically when their expressions change.

"I've been hiding this for a very long time now and hope the people closest to me can forgive me. I wanted to share a little thing I wrote while I was getting my treatments done. To help people dealing with this and to allow myself to open up to the world about this well kept secret." I open up the piece of paper in my hands and feel a jab at my heart. I take a deep breathe and continue on with my speech, knowing very well it was going to hurt after this:

As I lay in this bed feeling my eyes close into the darkness, wondering if it is my time
Pills of all sorts, big needles, and rehab is even worse
Sleepless nights in hospital beds, homesickness, and wanting a familiar face coming through the door
Time passing by as I watch beautiful sunsets keeping me going and visits from family every  week
Funny home videos I watch time to time and pictures of my friends on my phone
But I still feel jabs in my chest and I still hear soft sobs outside my room whenever mom visits
I still find myself crying to sleep and wondering if I will wake up
Smiles that don't meet my eyes and pain all over my body, my heart broken in the worst way possible
And most of all wanting this everlasting nightmare to end.