13 - Awaken

IMPORTANT

all pronunciations are in the book 'a giude to the dead worlds & languages' i have updated it with each chapter.

if you have any questions ask and i will answer in the book mentioned above. link on the side.

____________________________________________________________________________

the wind whooshed through the trees as they talked. the trees talked of the little child of man who lay unconscious on her grandmother's bed as her mother cried over her. they had talked of the little girl from the moment the young wind spirit had carried her the old woman's cottage with her sister. the spirit had left as soon as the Earth Woman had arrived and returned as the sun set, his knuckles scraped and bleeding, his shirt still covered in the little girl's blood, his face tear stained. the girl's father had come to the cottage when he had found his home empty. his wife had screeched and cursed at him, tears running down her face, only being held back by the wind spirits firm grasp around her waist. he had left and not returned. the Màjék practitioner had healed the girl's wound but she still slept. it had been tow sunsets since the wind spirit carried her bleeding and barely conscious to the clearing. in the time of men Keria had slept for a day and two nights. before the rising of the sun on the second day she awoke, her eyes sweeping the room and her head pounding.

Keria tried to move her hand so she could touch her head, but she found her sister gripping it as she slept, curled up next to her on the bed. the turn of Keria's head as she looked at her sister brought the attention of her mother to her.

Maria lifted her head from her hands as she heard cloth moving and she looked at her youngest daughter and relief washed through her, and her heart soared that the little girl before her was awake. she stood from where she knelt next to the bed and sat on the edge of the bed next to Keria. she gently brushed the hair out of Keria's face and let her hand rest on the little girls cheek for a few moments before taking her hand.

"how do you feel?" she asked quietly, her voice filled with love and caring.

Keria attempted to sit up but remembered that her sister gripped her in her sleep and Keria  decided she would be better off laying down.

"i'm fine mother." Keria said reassuringly, though her head hurt and she felt stiff and hungry.

the door opened and Tàlis stepped into the room, holding some of the Autumn lilies that he had helped her pick not five days ago so she could make the wreath for her sister. he smiled, is face tiered and dark bags under his eyes because he could not have slept if he had wanted to, not with the little girl he thought of as his little sister laying in the bed, unmoving. he walked over to the side of the bed, put a hand on Maria's shoulder and placed a lily next to Annabeth and one next to Keria on the bed. Annabeth stirred as she smelt the lily in her sleep and she opened her eyes. she lay still for a moment as she saw Keria looking at her, wide awake. Annabeth smiled and sat up. she kissed her sister on the cheek and released her hand. she lay back onto the wall that the bed was pushed up against, her head just below the window sill. 

Keria sat up and her head pounded a little more, but she didn't care. she looked at Tàlis again and saw his shirt, a deep brown stain running down his chest and shoulders. as he shifted in place, the smell of old blood was undeniable.

"why do you have blood all over you Tàlis?" she asked, her voice calm.

his smile faltered and he moved his hand to the back of his neck, but not before Keria had seen his scraped knuckles that he refused to be let healed. they would scare and he would wear those scares proudly as a mark of the lengths he would go to protect the little girl.