Chapter 3: The Decision

Start from the beginning

"Wow. Thanks, asshole." I giggled.

"Yer welcome." Daryl paused for a second. "The nights are getting colder."

His words bounced around in my mind. Winter is approaching and we need to prepare for it. We need more blankets, warmer clothes. The cold could be a good thing though. You'd think the walkers would be affected by it, maybe slow them down or even freeze them.

"We should probably go on another run soon." I suggest. "Our last run didn't go so well."

"Ya got that right. We got nothing out of that!"

"Except for Randall."

"Yeah, what use is he? These people are probably gonna kill him. I didn't even see the point of helping him!" Daryl's voice escalated. "We should've just left him."

I turned my head so I could look Daryl in the eye. "You didn't leave me." His facial expression immediately turned from angry to a happy kind of sad.

He stared into my eyes intently. Unexpectedly, Daryl leaned in and pressed his lips against mine. Our lips moved in motion and Daryl's tongue traced my bottom lip, clearly wanting access. I denied him and pulled away. I curled up in his chest again, feeling kind of awkward. I closed my eyes, still thinking about what just happened.

--------

I opened my eyes to see the sun shining bright on our green tent. I sat up, noticing I was alone. I guess Daryl had already gotten up.
I stood up, stretched, and then pulled my grey shirt from my bag. I ripped off the shirt I'm already wearing and put the grey one on. I threw my jean jacket over my shoulders, slipping my arms through the sleeves. Taking only my hunting knife and pistol with me, I zipped the tent door open and walked outside to find Daryl already standing there.

"Hey. You didn't wake me?" I asked.

"Thought I'd let ya sleep in. Can I talk to you for a sec?" I nodded and he pulled me behind a nearby tree where none of the group could see us. "Listen, I'm sorry that I kissed you last night. I hope I didn't, like, offend you or somethin."

"Don't be sorry." I laughed, and kissed him on the lips. Once I pulled away, his lips drew into a thin line of a tiny smile.

"Hey." Rick showed up out of nowhere, startling the both of us. "Here's the deal, everyone's kind of wary about having Randall in the group, so we locked him in Hershels old tool shed for now. Maggie, Glenn's girlfriend, is guarding it so if you wanna talk to him, maybe get to know him a little bit and make sure he's not a threat, then just ask her."

"They're not worried about us?" Daryl retorted.

"I told them you guys helped us get out of there, but you should probably stay on everyone's good side." Rick explained.

"What are you gonna do with him if he is a threat?" I asked, bringing the conversation back to Randall.

Rick pinched the bridge of his nose. "We'll kill him."

My heart almost died when he said that. How could you just kill someone who hasn't even done anything?

"How would you do it? Kill him, I mean." I asked out of curiosity.

"The most humane way I can think of. Shoot him." Rick's voice cracked. He doesn't want to do this, I know he doesn't. It's the group who doesn't feel safe with Randall here.
"We're gonna have a meeting about it before the sun goes down. Maybe you can change everybody's minds." Rick walked away leaving Daryl and I alone.

"We should go talk to him." I suggested. Turning before Daryl could object, I headed for the shed. I heard his footsteps hurry behind me.

"Why should we talk to him?" He yelled.