Twenty Five.

Nandi

Beep beep beep went the sound of machinery as I floated back into my reality.

I was bummed out as I woke up, mainly because I'd been pulled from my happy place to be here, and also because I could see my parents' faces when my eyes had adjusted to my surroundings.

They were arguing. Mellow was trying to get them out but they wouldn't budge.

"You're the reason we're in this mess!" Mellow pointed his finger at me, unaware of the fact that I was now listening.

"That doesn't take away from the fact that we're her parents, Tumelo!" Our mother said.

"Some parents! What were you doing when she kept telling you how she was feeling?"

"Tumelo--"

"Just GO!"

Silence. Then a moment later, our parents scurried out of the room, leaving Mellow to exhale sharply while he wrestled with his thoughts. Mellow ran his hands down his face and kicked the foot of my bed. Then he realised that I was awake and watching.

"My god," he covered his mouth with his hands.

"Hi." I croaked, my throat parched.

"N-Nandi? You're awake! You're up! You're... you're here!" Mellow smiled.

I offered a small, weak smile and he stared at me for a while until it registered to him that I needed water.  Mellow stumbled across the room to pour me a glass of water.

Water...

Cold Water!

"I don't think this is cold enough." Mellow responded to my loud thought.

I took the water from him, guzzling it like my life depended on it, then I asked one question:

"Where's Justin?"

Mellow blinked. He as taken aback by my question. I could've first thanked him or asked about Nina, I could've asked if Jerome was still in the country or if I was still married to the prick, I could've even asked for food... but I wanted to see Justin because I felt like he was here not so long ago, in this room!

"I... really don't know, Nandi." Mellow said.

"He was here though, right? Singing. I remember. I remember hearing his voice, Mellow, he was singing. Something about cold water."

Mellow shook his head slowly.

"Maybe you were dreaming? You've been in a coma for a number of days." He said.

"No, Tumelo..." I frowned.

"Don't panic. I'll try to find out. I mean, I did tell the guards to let him through if he did come. I just never followed up."

"Find him, Mellow. Please."

"Okay. I'm gonna get the doctor first, okay?"

I didn't want to talk to my parents. If Mellow left, they'd come in for sure.

"Don't let them in," I lowered my voice, "dont let mother and father in."