Sixteen.

Justin

Nina drove us to a club for one more night together and Ryan and Khalil couldn't have been happier. I, on the other hand, constantly felt like a loner as the three of them went about cracking jokes and singing along to whatever song was playing on the radio on our way to the club.

I missed Nandi and I bet it was evident on my face. Even my mom noticed the shift in my mood but I felt stupid from even feeling the way I did; I should've known that any fling I had here wouldn't be forever. I'd be on my way home soon, to go back to the faces I was familiar with, and everything would be okay. I hoped.

While Khalil and Ryan went to get us some drinks, I sat in the VIP booth with Nina and she was staring at me while I kept busy with my phone.

"You're not even going to try act like you're having fun tonight?" She said.

I glanced at her, saying nothing, before going back to what I was doing on my phone.

"You're such a buzz kill." She groaned, "come on, Biebs. Live a little!"

"I'm fine right here. You can go dancing if you want." I told her.

Nina sighed and came to sit next to me.

"I know you miss her. She misses you too." She spoke about Nandi, "but this is a small country. You're bound to cross paths again before you leave."

"And what's gonna happen then?"

"You two should talk shit out. She's miserable, you're miserable... I need a shot." Nina rolled her eyes.

"I'm not the problem." I defended myself, "your friend has built up a wall that's ten feet tall and she won't let anybody in."

"She's been through a lot."

"Who hasn't?"

"Things are more complicated than they seem, Justin. You'll realise that someday. Nandi is... she's special."

"Fucking right." I muttered, going back to my cellphone activity.

Nina gave up on me and left me alone to be sad.

When the guys came back with their drinks, I only had one. Nina disappeared with Ryan to dance and Khalil went to keep busy with another girl that he'd just met.

Everything about this trip was so complicated and it was started to frustrate me. I was being bad company and I realised that I probably should've stayed at the hotel. Rather listen to my mom talk nonstop about relationships and girls than be here and drag everyone's spirits down.

"Bieber!" Nina shouted as she approached me with her phone in her hand.

I looked at her.

"I think these were meant for you." She handed me her phone so I could read the messages that had come through.

They were all from Nandi and not one of them made sense.

"She drunk texted you." Nina giggled.

Obviously this was normal to her. I'd never had someone drunk text me.

Rereading the messages, I found that the only thing she spelt correctly was my name and a couple of other words which still didn't make sense in the nonsense she wrote:

'JUStin! I misz tou so much'

'They plyin our songg'

'Um drank as fuxkc'

'*drnk'