The Game of Love Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

“Don’t you want me to disappear so that you won’t have to hear my voice ever again?” I asked harshly. Sarah took a step back. “Look,” I began, words flying out of my mouth before I could stop them, “why don’t you run along with your new boyfriend. I bet he’d treat you like a woman.” I roll my eyes, heaving a sigh.

Sarah shook her head, sighing. “I knew I shouldn’t have worried myself over you. To think you’d actually be in pain!” But I am, stupid, I thought. “You always do this: I try to be nice but then you turn into the freaking douche bag. Forget it.” That was when she turned and left. Realizing the stupid little scene I have caused, I slam my locker shut, lean my back against it, and bang my head against the metal. Is this all I’m able to do for her? Simply hurting her? Still…I know that I’m a much better man than Damien.

* * * *

Sarah:

Just as I’m storming out of the school building and into my jeep, Damien grabs me by the wrist just as I’m opening my jeep’s door. “Whoa,” he said, now placing his hands on my shoulders, calming me down. “What happened?”

“That jackass Leon…” I muttered. He laughed slightly—it seemed that immediately I was starting to feel much better, weight lifted off my shoulders.

“Forget him,” he muttered. I nodded in agreement. “As much as I’d like to spend the day with you, I can’t.”

“Neither can I; it must be the family gathering for Thanksgiving tomorrow.” He nodded.

“But I’ll be able to come the day after. I promise.” His arms wrapped around me from behind as he had said so. Looking up to meet his gaze, I smile, nodding. Once he released his grip on me, I pulled myself into my jeep and drove home.

Letting myself in the house, I lugged myself onto the couch and crashed—exhausted for no apparent reason. After about an hour or two, I hear my mom cooking up our dinner. Stretching my limbs as I yawned, I walked into the kitchen, giving my mom a welcoming hug. “Sarah,” she began, “you’ve seemed awfully troubled these past few weeks. Your dad and I are worried. Tell us, what’s going on?”

I shook my head; I don’t—no offense—want them to get involve and help me with my issues. It’s just that I don’t want to trouble them. “Nothing’s really happening,” I replied. She raised a brow.

“There aren’t any boys messing with you, are there?” God damn Mother’s Intuition, I mean, why must she be right on the mark. However, I don’t let it show as I shook my head. When she seemed almost sure that I wasn’t hiding anything, she nodded and continued to cook our steak.

Dinner with my family is always silent—mainly because I don’t like talking about my day. My dad, ever so worried, kept looking at me like I’m ill. Jeez, I hate it when he does that; does he not know that it just pisses me off and annoys me to no end? My God, I mean seriously!

Finished, I slung my backpack over my shoulders and walked up the stairs to my room and worked on homework. All that done and over with, I received a call—unknown number. Knowing me, I never answer those calls, but something was telling me to. So when I do, my heart leapt when I heard Damien’s voice. “Hey, Sarah,” he greeted in a sweet tone. I smiled as I said hi back. “What are you doing?”

I shrug, trying to keep cool as I reply, “Just lying in bed, staring at the ceiling. What about you?”

From the other line, I could tell he was smiling as he answered, “Outside my porch, talking to you.”

Twisting my lips, I thought of a way to respond, but nothing came to mind. Noticing my uneasiness, I heard him laugh out of amusement. “Can’t think of anything to say?” as though he could see me nodding, he added, “Neither can I.”

After a moment, I asked, “How’d you get my number?”

“This girl—friend of yours, right?—Sophia I think was her name, handed me your number when I asked.”

“Why didn’t you ask directly?”

“You were already heading to class and my little brother wouldn’t shut up.” I laughed.

“Okay…why are you calling?” I asked curiously.

“I wanted to hear your voice,” he said in the most charming way possible. It’s such a cliché line, but already I was going weak on the knees.

Despite our not talking for a couple minutes, neither of us hung up and we just listened to each other breathe, waiting for either one to start. That’s when I hear Leon in the background. Disgruntled, I placed my palm on my face and shook my head. Thanks for ruining the moment…

Leon:

Grudgingly walking out the front porch to call Damien in for dinner, I watched him silently stand there with his phone to his ear. Noticing that smile (i.e. smirk) on his face, made me realize who he’s “talking” to. Sarah.

Just as I’m about to snatch that phone away from him, he says his goodbye and hangs up, attention now towards me. “That was Sarah, wasn’t it?” He nodded. “What did you guys talk about?”

Damien shook his head, paying no heed to my questions. When I demand an answer, he says in return, “It’s none of your business. You’re so nosy, Leon. Jealous much, I think so.”

Shut up. He’s just lucky that I’m the younger brother. Why? Mom and Dad don’t give a damn about me. It’s always Damien this and Damien that, and why can’t you be like Damien for once? Usually it’s vice versa. They never offer any attention to me, and they never cared. If Damien did anything wrong, they’d always blame it on me. My God damn parents think I’m a mistake and that I’m a “bad apple.” It’s too bad they’re too stupid to see just how much more fucked up Damien is than me.

Damien Ferron—that motherfucker—he’s the guy who’s got everything. He’s got a Lamborghini, a huge house all to himself, filthy rich, and now he has the girl that I’ve loved since I was ten! Mom and Dad think he’s the perfect son, but they just don’t see how he’s really leading his life. I’m the only one who does, and no matter how many times I try to convince them, they just shoo me away like I’m some kind of bug.

Ever since I was a kid, they’d take as much care as necessary for me. Instead of reading me bedtime stories, getting me toys, and earning hugs and kisses, I get a whole lot of nothing. Fuck my life. They look down on me like I’m dirt; it’s like I’m not their son nor am I a human to them. And they’re supposed to be my “parents”? Fuck that shit because that’s a whole bunch of bullshit.

They don’t care if I’m out on the streets, they don’t care of I get arrested because they won’t back me up. Those assholes don’t care if I never succeed, if I get a girlfriend; accidentally get a girl pregnant (this has never happened, just so you know…still a virgin). Hell, they don’t even care if I die. They’d rather visit my spoiled brother who’s got nothing in his life than attend my funeral. They truly hate me and wish I was dead already.

Sarah…she’s different. Sure, she hates me and all that, but I can tell that she’s more concerned for me than anyone on this planet. Even though the majority of people in school always show concern for me, it’s not as genuine as Sarah’s. I don’t know why, but for some reason, the moment I saw Sarah, I just knew that she’d be different than everyone. So why do I treat her like crap? Take a look at my history and you’ll understand.

Now, because of my fucked up life, my chances with Sarah are slim. Anyway, with Damien looking at me with those scornful eyes and that smirk, I glare, mutter a harsh, “Fuck you,” and walk into the house.

Sarah…if only you knew what I was thinking just now because every time I want to say these things about me so you can understand, I end up saying cruel things to you… Give me a chance someday, please. When I finally grow up and get on better terms with you, I’ll make sure that you’ll never regret me being by your side for life…