Chapter 17

Miranda's pov

"Ok just squeeze the ball." The doctor says. I struggle to do it but it hurts. "I can't! It hurts." "It's gonna hurt, Miranda. But you've gotta fight through the pain!" I scream angrily, "NOO!" I throw the ball and it bounces out the window. Daddy hugs me. "It's okay. Just take it one day at a time." He whispers.

Jason's pov

She pulls at the oxygen tube in her nose. "Sweet girl, don't pull on that." "I wanna go home, dad." "We will soon, hun." Rachel looks like she's about to cry. She hates seeing her like this just as much as I do. Mike brings Jack which instantly cheers her up. I smile and pat her head. He climbs up beside her. "My class made a get well soon card. Everyone signed it, see?" "I love it Jack. Thanks." She kisses his cheek and his eyes go wide. Me, Mike, and Rachel laugh slightly. "Let's go." Rachel whispers. I nod and we go out to the waiting room. "I can't believe our kids love each other." "Hey bro, that means we're gonna be in laws." Mike says, patting my shoulder.

*a few days later*

I was getting Sierra ready for school. Miranda can come home today. Rachel drives her and Mike picks Miranda up for me. I smile seeing Jack help her in. Thankfully without that oxygen tube. "Can I go back to school tomorrow?" I nod, smiling. She sits down tiredly on the couch.

*later*

Miranda's pov

"Time to change your bandages baby girl." I sigh and lay down on the bed. "I can't wait til I'm healed up." "It won't be long now, sweety." Dad says, ruffling my hair.

Jason's pov

I unwind the bandages and look at the cuts. "What did he hit you with?" "A belt. It was really hard." Probably leather. I sigh sadly and clean the cuts then change the bandages. "How long do we have to do that?" "Til they're all healed, sweety. Mama's making lunch. Tacos, ya want me to bring them up?" "No I'm not hungry." I go back downstairs and sit on the couch with a bottle of jack. There was more than one prick. After a few shots, I call Mike. I grab a beer and my pistol. "Mike let's go back to that building." "You're gonna wipe 'em out?" I nod and stare ahead in an alcohol induced anger. "I won't let what happened to my baby girl happen to anyone else's kid." I grip my pistol tight. Ten minutes on the road, and the blue lights were flashing. Mike pulls over. I sigh and holster my pistol. "Do you know how fast you were going?" "65." Mike says. "In a 40 mph zone." "Oh. Sorry man." I keep my stare on the road. "Have you been drinking sir?" "Yes he has. I'm driving him home from the bar." Mike just lied to a cop! He blinds us with a flashlight. "Step out of the vehicle sir." My eyes go wide. "Why? Under what cause?" "Just do it." Mike whispers. I am so annoyed. I step out anyway. "Is that a loaded pistol?" He asks. I roll my eyes. "Yes, I respectfully stick by the second amendment!" I snap frustrated. "Could you remove it from the holster sir?" "God dammit what is going on?! I didn't do anything wrong!!" Yet. "Please comply sir." "Not until you tell my why the fuck I'm doing this!" "Jason knock it off." Mike hisses. I glare at him. "This is stupid!" I mutter, pulling it out. "Do you have the papers for that gun sir?" "Yeah but not with me, they're in my truck. This is my buddy Mike's truck." "I can't let you carry around an undocumented weapon while under the influence." This is starting to really piss me off. "So what? You're gonna take my perfectly legal pistol I carry on my hip for self defense purposes only?!" He looks at Mike. "You keep the gun." He says, handing it to Mike. "And keep him under control." I glare at him annoyed. He walks back to his squad car. "Jackass." I mutter getting back in. We finish driving to the place just as a car whips out. I easily see Sierra's birth father and two other guys! Dammit! That cop made us miss them! "After that car, Mike!" "But Jason-" I grab my pistol and roll down the window. "Do it." "Fine!" We're tailgating when I shoot at them, breaking the back glass. He kicks it up faster. "Faster, Mike, we're losin' 'em!" I stand up, halfway out of the window to shoot better. I hit one in the head. "One down three to go." I whisper aiming for the driver who happens to be Sierra's dad. I was about to pull the trigger when Mike slammed on the brakes. I grabbed the truck just in time. "What the fuck was that?! They just got away!" He yanks the pistol from my hand. "This has gone on too far! You just committed murder!" "No I committed justice!" I yell back. "My daughter was beaten mercilessly by those maniacs! What if it had been Jack?! Huh what then?!" "I wouldn't commit murder, Jason!" I grab my pistol again. "Get the fuck outta the car, Mike!" "What the hell?!" "I'm taking them down with or without your help!" He shakily open the door. "You've snapped Jason." I scoot to the driver's side. "You do it your way, I'll do it mine." I whisper, gunning it.