Chapter 2

Miranda's pov

Day 798. I've been tallying the days since I came here almost four years ago when I was six. When daddy wrecked the station wagon, killing both him and my mother. Now I'm ten and my dreams of finding a family are withering away. I was writing in my diary when the head honcho screamed at me to do the chores. I don't know why I'm the only kid here that she bullies like this. I tearfully set my diary in it's hiding place and sweep the floors.

Jason's pov

Today's the day. We're gonna go to an orphanage and adopt a little girl. The social worker we've been talking to told us when the right kid comes along, we'll know. Rachel's bouncing with energy. I laugh as she pulls me inside. There's a woman sitting at a desk. She looks up. "Mr. And Mrs. Aldean, I presume?" I nod. "Follow me." We go to another room. "Tell me what you're looking for." She says, opening a folder, filled with paperwork. "A girl. We don't care the age just under ten years old." I say. Rachel is so nervous now. "Well would you like to take a look?" She jumps up quickly. I hold her shoulder before she runs out the door. She blushes with a big smile. Man, I love seeing my wife so happy. We go outside where all the kids are.

Miranda's pov

I look out the window at the couple looking to adopt. I sigh. Yet again. Shut out from the adoptees. No one would want a girl like me anyway. "There is a castle on a cloud. I like to go there in my sleep. Aren't any floors for me to sweep, not in my castle on a cloud. There is a room full of toys, there are a hundred girls and boys." I whisper sing while sweeping and mopping.

Jason's pov

Rachel and I were looking at all the kids and none of them just fit right with us for some reason. Then I heard something. Singing. "I'll be right back." I say, walking back inside. "There's a lady all in white, holds me and sings a lullaby, she's nice to see and soft to touch, she says I love you very much!" Who is that singing?! I follow the voice to a dark cold room. A little girl with dark brown hair was sweeping the floor. Her clothes were in tatters and there were tear stains on her face. "I know a place where noone's lost. I know a place where no one cries. Crying at all is not allowed, not in castle on a cloud!"

Miranda's pov

I spin around, hearing someone clapping. I drop my broom in surprise. "H-Hello?" I shakily say. "That was beautiful." He says, smiling. "Thanks." I mumble blushing. "Why aren't you out with the others?" "I.... I'm not allowed to." He gets on one knee. "Why not?" He waves me over so I nervously walk over to him. "The... Mrs. Thomas says I'm not allowed to. She says no one would want me anyway. I have chores to do anyway." I mumble, embarrassed. He sits on one of the beds. My bed and I sit beside him. "She shouldn't tell you that." He says. I fight back the tears and hide my face.

Jason's pov

I think I found my daughter. "Hey it's okay, sweety." "No it's not! I'm gonna be alone forever!" She sobs into her hands. Poor kid. "That's not true!" I definitely wanna adopt her.

Rachel's pov

Where on earth is Jason?! I've had no luck here. I guess we'll be looking somewhere else. I was about to call for him again when he walked back outside, holding the hand of a brown haired girl with tear filled eyes. "Jason?" I gasp confused. "Oh dear!" The woman beside me mutters. "I think I found our daughter." He says, walking over. The sweet little girl is in tears. She must not have been treated well. I get down on my knees. "What's your name?" "Miranda, ma'am." She says. I smile and look up at Jason. He's found the one. The one I want to bring home with us. I stand back up and hug my husband. He laughs softly. "We're gonna be a family." I say. He nods. "We'd like to adopt her." He says pointing. She looks annoyed. I wonder why. We all go to the room where she pulls out her paperwork. "She's ten though. You said not older than ten." Jason smiles down at the little girl in his lap. "We'll make an exception." I nod in agreement, excited. The woman looks pissed.

Miranda's pov

I can't believe I'm getting adopted. Mrs. Thomas gives me evil looks. I hide my head in his chest. He wraps his arms around me. They were talking to Mrs. Thomas for a while. She tried to convince them not to adopt me. I could tell he was getting mad. In the end, I walked out, holding the hand of the man. I guess I call him daddy now. He opens the truck door and I climb inside excited. I have a family now. That fear and aloneness is gone. I have a family. Tears fill my eyes. I'm going home.