Chapter 5

Jason's pov

Mike and I were hanging out at the bar. I downed a shot of whiskey, making my throat burn from the alcohol. "Didn't you say she was singing when you guys found her." I smile and nod. "Singin', sweepin' and cryin'." "Harsh. Why?" "The chick was a jerk and didn't want her getting adopted. She tried to hide her from us but I heard her singing and instantly knew she was the girl I wanted to adopt." He smiles and downs his own shot. "Hey let's go to my place for a BBQ. Get your girls and meet me there." He says, standing up. "Are you okay to drive man?" "Yeah." Hm.. "I have an idea, Mike." "What is it?" "I wanna get Miranda a guitar and teach her how to play." "Ooh! Great idea. Let's go!"

Miranda's pov

Mama takes me and Sierra to Uncle Mike's. Jack was hiding in the treehouse. He and his friend Chris were playing spies. "No girls allowed!" Chris shouts. I glare at him. "Shut your fat trap!" I snap. I slap Sierra a high five afterwards. Then Jack jumps down. "Nah man they're cool." He smiles. "How's your head?" I ask, my flaming cheeks betraying me. "It's fine." "Hey Miranda!" Dad shouts. "Oh be right back." I say waving. I run back to the adults and dad was getting something out of the truck. "What's up?" I ask, itching my arm. He walks back over carrying a big present. Everyone is smiling. He opens it and a sparkling electric blue guitar sits in the box. "Is this... Mine?" I shakily ask shocked. He nods and pulls it out. "All yours, sweety." I'm shaking. My very own guitar! Just like.....

~flashback~

My first dad walked through the door with a big smile. This was before they died. "Daddy! What's in the box?" I asked poking it. I was five. He opens it and hands it to me. A light red electric guitar rests in my hand. Three weeks later, I learned to play.

~flashback over~

Jason's pov

I think she's in shock. I'm excited to teach her to play. "Anyone got a pick?" Oh. "Um I think I have a spare inside." Mike says. Seconds later, he gives her one and she starts to play. Whoa! "You... I didn't know you already knew how to play!" I gasp surprised. "Yeah..... My..... First dad taught me before..... They died." Oh man.

*later*

Miranda's pov

I join the rest of the gang and they all wanna have a movie night so we go into the den and Uncle Mike makes popcorn. We were watching some dinasour movie. I wasn't paying too much attention.

Jason's pov

I glance in the den and Miranda doesn't look too happy. It probably made her think about her parents. I feel bad about that. Jack nudges her shoulder. "Popcorn?" He asks. She smiles. I hear Mike call my name. I glance back at Rachel and Mike for a spilt second and when I turn my head back to the kids, Jack was hugging Miranda. Cute kids. I walk back to the adults. "You alright?" Rachel asks, resting a hand on my arm. "Y-Yeah I'm fine. Just thinkin' about the kids." She smiles. "You're such a great dad, Jason." I smile and hug her. "I love being a dad." I glance back in the direction of the den. I wonder if those two in the future might become more than just friends.