Chapter 8

Jason's pov

"So much pain and so much darkness in this world we stumble through. All these questions I can't answer and so much work to do.... But when I get where I'm goin' and I see my maker's face, I'll stand forever in the light of his amazing grace!" I shakily sing at Tanya's funeral, fighting back tears. My daughters crying uncontrollably. My wife trying to console them without breaking down herself. I walk over and pull Sierra into my lap.

*later*

I walk by Miranda's room and hear her singing the song she was singing when I found her at the orphanage. I push the door open slightly. She was rubbing Sierra's back while singing it, the little girl's shoulders shaking. Poor girl. I open the door wider and sit beside them. "We're here for you Sierra." Miranda says. She doesn't respond. I make motions meaning we should give her some space. We go to the living room. I run a tired hand through my hair. "I wanna help her dad, how can I help?" "Sweet girl, we can't do anything to fix this. We just gotta give her time and support." A knock at the door startles her. Luke opens it. She's in such an upset mood she's retracted into her shy mode, hiding behind my leg. "Hey Luke how goes it?" I ask tiredly. "Need me to do anything man? I know she was a good friend." I glance down the hall. Rach was closer than I was but still. "I think I've got it handled man but thanks." "Call me if ya need me buddy." "I will. "Uncle Luke." Miranda squeaks from behind me. "What is it sweety?" "Your sister died right?" My eyes go wide. He nods slowly. "Yeah. How'd you-" "Where do they go? The people who die?" Me and Luke look at each other. I sit on the couch, pulling her into my lap. "Um well sweety... There's a lot of theories but this is what I've always believed." Luke sits beside us, looking tired. "All the people who die we will see them again." She turns around quickly. "How?!" "Well... Um...." How do I explain this?! "They go to a big beautiful place where nothing bad happens and they're always happy." "Like in the song you sang today?" I smile and nod. "Exactly that, Miranda." "How will we see them again?" "Well when we go there too they'll be waiting for us.... Like Sierra's mama.... Luke's sister..." I nervously clear my throat. "Your mama and daddy before us." "I.... I'll see them again too?" I nod. "But what about you? You're my daddy now." "Well you'll have two daddies and two mommies. You're real special kiddo." I hear footsteps. I glance behind me and see Sierra, her face red from crying. I pat the couch and she sits on my other knee. Luke takes Miranda for me. "I couldn't save mommy." "It's not your fault, Sierra. None of what happened was your fault." "I'm gonna miss her." I hug her tight. "We all are, baby."

*later*

The girls were hiding in the treehouse I built for them a while ago. Rachel puts her coffee cup in the sink. "Those little girls will soar, Jason." I glance at her. "Yeah baby girl. They sure will." I sigh softly staring out the window. Rachel wraps an arm around my waist and lays her head on my shoulder. "Hard times are ahead Rach." "Yeah." I don't let her see me crying.