Chapter 40- Forgotten Friend

Edith

   "Why the sh*t would my sister and brother murder him?" Edith snarls. The council members still think she's in denial. But who wouldn't be in this scenario?

   "My brother Darrion said Aviva's close friends were suspecting her of distancing herself," Everett informs the Legion's Council, leaning forward in his chair with his elbows on the table, his hands folded. "She might've been doing that so she could ensure her emotions for her friends would not get in the way."

   "Kyler though, he was our most important navigator and knew all the best places to scavenge, and he had shown no thirst for power or any desire to overthrow his own father with patricide." Edith refutes.

   "Edith, dear," Yolanda Bills, a dark-skinned woman with the position of storage and supply management (also an offerer of insight), grasps the hand of Edith. "I know losing a family member is beyond hard, and then having your remaining family be accused of the murder that caused that death. But what your father would do? He'd carry on. Seek justice in a patient manner with logical reason a common companion throughout any dilemma. Edith, befriend logic."

   Edith's fingers twitched under Yolanda's warm, gentle hand. She withdraws her own hand from the table and leans back in her chair, crossing her arms. "Yes, fine."

  "What is to be done first, Commandress?" Another council member inquires, leaning forward in his seat.

   "First of all," Edith says. "I want to establish that 'Commandress' is not a word." Aviva would be infuriated at that stupid use of English. 

   The council member slumps back in his seat. "I pride myself on making new words, My Lady. Perhaps it may be documented a new term in an archive?"

   The record-keeper, Sunna Kjort, shakes her head. "Nope, never. Not while you use the so-called word of 'histericatacular.'"

   Edith rolls her eyes. "I'm in agreement with Miss Kjort, Mr. Lark." She sighs, exasperated. "We bury my father while we send out search parties—each reasonable in number and armed in case of outside intrusion." Edith stands and so does the rest of the council. "Are we all okay with this decision?"

   Words of agreement resound around the room.

   "Good. Please, put this into action with the Legionaries, Head Legionnaire Alexandra." Edith nods to a tan woman with dark hair, who nods in return, her face a stony serious expression.

   "This Council meeting is adjourned. We'll continue with a progress briefing every day forward."

-------

   Ember

    So Aviva is under suspicion for murder because she was reported to have been soulless for the days leading up to the murder.

   I certainly did my job Nat asked of me.

  That was sarcasm, by the way.

    ...
        Anyway...

   Joanna is furious and Nat shocked but seems to believe it to be true despite not wanting it to be real at all. I feel the same way. I don't want this to be the reality. Aviva is a close friend to quite a few people and a good acquaintance of mine.

   And Kyler? I've never met him before, so I wouldn't ever know what his behavior is or was like. I just know he might be a scavenging organizer that knows every nook and cranny of the Legion's buildings, along with the knowledge of where the best, yet-to-have-been-looted spots are.