Chapter 16- The Woodbury Plight

I approach the gates of the prison.

"HEY!" I shout and wave my arm at the guard tower.

Glenn's head turns toward me. "Ember? Oh my gosh, you're back! It's been two days!" He hollers as he climbs down the tower.

TWO DAYS?! I think and then I say it: "Two days!?"

Glenn opens the gates and let's me in. "Yeah, we've been worried sick." He confirms and I moan.

"I got shot in the shoulder, but Jackie's group found us and patched me up." I explain and Glenn's eyes wide .

"Head inside, Em. I'm sure Hershel could take a look at your wound." Glenn smiles a little. "You should surprise Carl afterwards, it'll be funny." He adds and I smile.

"Sounds absolutely immature..." I say and Glenn raises an eyebrow. "I'm in!" I cheer and I sprint for the prison.

I creep over to Hershel's cell and find him in there reading. "Knock, knock!" I say and I startle him into dropping his book. "Whups, sorry!" I rush over and pick the book up with my good shoulder. I hand it back to a stunned Hershel.

"Ember!?" He shouts in disbelief.

I hold my finger up to my lips. "Shh, not so loud! I want to surprise Carl."

Hershel still can't wipe his surprised expression. "Ember, it's been two days since you went missing. And this morning, the governor attacked." Hershel clarifies and my eyes narrow. "We're taking in the Woodbury people."

"WHAT!?" I yell and hope Carl didn't hear me. "But those Woodbury people have done so much wrongs! And what about Andrea, I've known her forever. How's she doing?"

Hershel nods. "Andrea is fine. She's helping the Woodbury people since the Governor went, ah well, coo-coo for coco puffs. Carl is helping."

I sigh. "He already was coo-coo for coco—I mean he was insane—anyway, Hershel." I say. "And the reason why I was gone for so long was because Jackie got spooked, went outside for fresh air, and I ran after her. I got shot in my left shoulder, Jackie's group mended the wound, but Glenn said I should go to you just in case. Jackie's okay, she's with her friends now." I explain and Hershel nods.

All he did was change my bloody bandage and that didn't take long. It isn't long before I hear the revving of a bus engine.

I stand outside and tuck a loose strand of dark brown hair behind my ear. The bus pulls up along with cars and Daryl's motorcycle. I smile, elated to see my brother again. Andrea is riding in a car too. She's cool. And I stand next to Hershel by the prison building entrance. The bus parks and Carl steps out of it. He doesn't see me yet, because he's busy standing outside of the bus door helping the kids climb out.

This girl our age with golden hair in princess curls who might as well have been a child apocalypse model. She wears a designer top and a fashionable flannel cardigan over it. Her jeans were tattered purposefully to look stylish.

It was as if she shopped at some place called "apocalypse chic; Undead Boutique" or something.

Miss Teen Model takes Carl's outstretched hand that is meant to help her down and she gracefully steps down onto the stone courtyard. "Thank you so much for saving us from that psychopath, Carl." She smiles flirtatiously at Carl as she kisses him on the cheek. He stands there shocked as I stand next to Hershel with a dumb, surprised look on my face.

"—Welcome...Welcome...—" Hershel's greeting to the Woodbury people snap me back into reality form my daze. He greets two little girls as they walk in behind their dad; they're probably both sisters.

The girl approaches us. "Name's Zay, age fifteen." She says coolly. She stops at me and Hershel, smiling charismatically. "It's short for Zaylee. Karen's my mom." She indicates to a woman with raven black, curly hair. How Zay got golden blonde hair from that is beyond my mental capacity to figure out.

I nod. "I'm Ember, and he's Hershel." I indicate toward Hershel and he nods.

"Welcome Zaylee, we're happy to see you've made it. Go ahead and select a cell in your cell block." Hershel greets and Zay nods.

And she walks in with the crowd without a thank you, yet she thanked Carl.

Please lord, no drama. Please.

I know asking for no drama is too much to ask.

------—------—-----------

Hey awesome readers! I want to thank you for 1k views! <3
*squeals with happiness*

I have changed Ember's hair from dirty blonde to dark brown to match Daryl instead of Merle. Just a lil' heads up! I'm an editor of my friend's wattpad stories, to correct grammar and all that, and check out his books! His account is @tryhardwalkers

STAY AWESOME!
~Katie