Chapter 17- WoodBuries Are WoodButts

As soon as everyone had filtered into the prison, I go to my cell.

I stride down the cell block and find my cell, which now has dark blue and maroon sheets hung at the entrance. I can tell Carl had set this up himself when I was missing, it still carries his scent. I plop down on my bed and reach under my pillow for my sketchbook and journal. Leaves made me realize I can't lose everything I used to be–or Who I used to be.

I draw leaves of all kinds and hang them up in my cell. I wrote down my thoughts on us changing faster than leaves in cursive letters on the papers, making this cell feel more like a home. The blankets on the entrance gave me privacy to be me. Now, I can finally hang up my drawings without anyone just being able to look in.

I sigh, it's been a long day.

I flop onto my bed (which, may I add, makes my severed shoulder throb a little), and I fell asleep before I hit the pillow.

~one ice age later...okay more of eight hours later, but it sure felt long~

I wake up in my cell and feel like I slept a millennium. I peek out of my cell.

Early Morning light filters through the windows.

Good lord, did I just sleep through the evening?

Nice going, Miss Em Sleeping Beauty!

"I willingly get out of bed with full enthusiasm and readiness to face another hopeful day!"...ha, I wish!
I actually felt the quite opposite actually, my specialty isn't exactly waking up early.

But on the other hand, I slept through yesterday so...

I put on a gray t-shirt, my favorite black leather jacket, tie my flannel around my waist, and my favorite jeans (that are naturally ripped, ahem, I'm coughing at you Zaylee) and slip on and lace up my combat boots.

I go to the bathroom with a hair band, there's absolutely no way I can do my hair without a mirror. If I'm lucky, I won't crack the mirror this time too.

I put my dark brown hair in a loose bun at the back of my head and it looks pretty slaying.

I mean, It would be harder for people to kill me if I look exceptionally pretty, right?

What a fine example of logic.

I would surprise everyone by showing up as Ember Rose Dixon in her favorite outfit, all clean, and not dead.

I walk out of my cell just as Beth rounds the corner. Her face lights up as she sprints toward me. She crashes into me and hugs me. I bury the pain in my shoulder and smile brightly. "Ember Rose Dixon, where have you been!?" She demands and I laugh.

"Long story," I inform her and I shrug.

Beth nods and directs me outside to where we set up an outdoor cafeteria. "Isn't it cool?" She asks me and I nod.

"Way better than a dank prison cafeteria," I confirm and I spot Carl. I turn to Beth. "Okay, if anyone asks, I'm Ghost Ember Dixon of Christmas Past, got it?" I whisper to her and wink. She snickers.

"Oh, Em. What are you up too?" She asks and I nod my head towards Carl. "Oh, you're going to surprise him!" She realizes as a grin spreads across her face. "You two are so cute, I ship it."

I raise an eyebrow. "You're speaking fan girl fluently now?"

Beth chuckles. "It developed," She smiles. "Now go!" She urges and she pushes me forward.

I roll my eyes and walk to the table Carl sits at. He's next to some Woodbury kids, including Zay who's all over him. I creep up behind him. "What's up, Grimes?" I say quite loudly and obnoxiously into his ear.

"Huh—" He turns and his gaze falls on me. He basically tumbles off the bench. I laugh and help him up, using my good shoulder. "EMBER?!"

I shake my head. "Nah, I'm Ghost Ember Dixon of Christmas Past." I joke as I wiggle my fingers like a scary story teller. "Ooooooooooooo!"

Carl laughs and I sit down next to him. "Where were your? It's been three days!"

"Correction, two days." I comment and he raises his eyebrow. "I got back just in time to greet the Woodbury people with Hershel as they entered the prison."

Carl still looks hopelessly perplexed. "How did I not see you?" He questions and I shrug.

"What can I say? I'm a ghost!" I point out and he smiles.

He nods. "But...where were you?" He inquires further.

So I told him everything that happened and after I finish, he hugs me tight.

"Ember, thank god you're okay..." He says and I see Zay scowl behind him. I wince, pain shooting up my shoulder. Carl pulls away. "Oh, yeah, shoulder. Sorry," He smiles ruefully and I smile back.

"Hey, Carl." A voice says, and it's...oh no, it's Zaylee. "Do you mind escorting me to the guard tower. It's my first time doing a shift and...well I don't know how to get there." She says, acting all cute.

B*tch what? Are my thoughts right now, the guard tower is in view and just across the prison yard for goodness sake!

I raise and eyebrow, but Carl nods. "Uh, okay. Sure." He agrees. We must both be thinking the same thing, because the guard tower is only across the prison yard.

Woodbury Woodbutts, some are nice, but some (i.e, Zaylee) are, well, I would say "Woodbutts" but that sounds immature.

Wait...

I am immature.