Chapter 22-WELL THEN

Well, you can imagine the ride back to the prison base was really, REALLY horrible. Zaylee was crying the whole time, but eventually passed out.

     "What will Karen say?" Jacks asks me. We sat next to each other in the back of the car, Zaylee (who has a now bandaged shoulder) is laying across us.

   I always forget Karen is Zay's mom, it's hard to remember since Zay is so blond and Karen's hair is curly and dark.

   "Umm..." I say softly. "I'm not sure. She probably won't be happy to see her daughter failed and got shot."

   Jacks nods. "Yeah..." He agrees.

   Once we got back to the prison, Zaylee is almost fully conscious and shaking from shock like crazy.

    "Should I slap her?" I ask Jacks once we place Zay on her cell bed. Michonne went to get Hershel.

    Jacks chuckles. "No, she'll be fine." He promises, then turns to Zay. "Hey, Zaylee, how you feeling?"

      Someone walks into the cell, along with Hershel. It is Carl, holding Hershel's medical supplies.

     Zay's eyes widen and she smiles weakly. "Hi...Carl." She says and Carl smiles.

     "You're just like Ember when it comes to finding trouble." He jokes and I swat at his shoulder. He laughs and throws up his hands in surrender.

    Jacks rolls his eyes, smiling. Hershel walks to Zay's cell bed.

   Jacks and I decide to leave the cell to give Hershel room to work. But Carl, as caring as he usually is for people, decided to stay with Zay throughout the cleaning and stitching process.

    I head for the guard tower, but Jacks stops me. "Hey, are you worried about Zaylee winning over Carl?" He asks me all of a sudden.

   I grimace. "What? No, that would never happen c , Jacks" I promise and Jacks looks doubtful.

    "Are you sure?" He asks.

    I roll my eyes. "Yes, I'm one-hundred percent sure." I tell him and he nods.

    "If you say so, Em. I just don't want to see you get hurt." He says and he wraps me into a hug. "Don't get hurt, okay?"

    I roll my eyes, but hug back my friend. "You act like it will happen often."

    "You never know these days."

    There is a tiny moment of silence.

    "Okay, I won't get hurt." I answer.

                      —————

     ...I decide to go see if Zaylee is okay...and she sure is okay.

     I get to the cell just as Carl gets up to leave and kisses Zay on her forehead.

    I stop breathing.

    Well shit...

      Well, then...Jacks is right.