Chapter 27- Here We Die

Lizzy had the cell next to mine. Today she came over to mine with a bucket and hands it to me.

Written on the bucket in blood is: "BBB".

"'BBB'?" I ask her hoarsely, glancing up.

Lizzy smiles ruefully. "For Blood Barf Bucket."

I smile a little. "Welcome to Arts and Craps Lessons." I croak and Lizzy rolls her eyes as she sits on the ground next to me. "Wassup?" I clear my throat, or at least try to as the coppery taste of blood starts to enter my mouth.

     Lizzy shrugs. "I guess I got bored."

    I nod. If I was going to die, I wanted to die killing stuff. This death is so...underwhelming. Can't Death get a wee bit more creative?

   "I feel ya." I tell her, resting my head against the cold stone wall and closing my eyes.

    "Mmmhmm..." Lizzy crosses her legs and picks at a loose thread hanging from her sweater sleeve. A walker growls from the cell across the block, reaching its pale arms out in vain for our flesh. Lizzy's eyes flicker up at the living corpse for a split second before she cast down her eyes and turns her full attention back to that one favored thread.

   But I notice her sudden glimpse at the walker. "Are you scared, Lizzy?" I ask her as soft and comforting as my gravelly voice can manage.

She shakes her head immediately. "No...not really." She yanks put the loose thread and tosses it out to the cell block hall.

By the look on Lizzy's face, I can tell she's more stressed than fearful. Kind of like me throughout a math test pre-apocalypse. I sigh—almost laugh— with relief. I never really reflected upon the fact I never have to take another math test again. I grow nostalgic smile. Another walker claws and groans against its cell bars. My flicker of home-sickness dulls as a frown replaces my smile.

Lizzy smiles at me, pushes off the wall behind us, and stumbles to her feet. "See you, Em." She says, turning around back to wave at me as she makes her way back to her cell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiya! It's Kat! Let me just say, never in a thousand eons would I have thought this story would be getting as popular as it is now. So high-five and hugs to every single one of you who supported this book and my writing.

My earlier chapters were total crap because that was before I got into my school's select competitive writing team (which I learned more tactics and techniques in writing and got feedback from my writing coaches, so that improved my writing skill rapidly from just having ideas to having ideas and writing them with a voice) and received the scholastic writing contest silver key award (my first award! Can you believe it?)

Thank you everyone! You're the best of the best! :D

~Kat