Chapter 16

Astrid's POV

Hiccup finally managed to extricate himself from the twins and motioned for us to sit. "This is a bit of a long explanation." He comments. "But it all started when I accepted a job from the rebel fighters."

"So you were fighting with the rebels against the army?" Fishlegs asked curiously but Hiccup shakes his head.

"No, I was a mercenary already by then and the rebels hired me for a retrieval mission. Only this wasn't an object I had to retrieve but a person."

"A person?" I asked while waiting for Hiccup to explain.

"Yes, the rebel leader at that time was captured and locked up in Dagur's mansion." Hiccup stated. "Normally Dagur would have any rebels executed but this one was his younger sister."

"Wait......" Snotlout interjects stopping Hiccup's story. "Dagur's younger sister was leading a civilian uprising against her brother?"

Hiccup nods in confirmation. Snotlout then lets out a breath and says. "That's messed up, but still incredibly brave. I wish we could meet her."

Snotlout's statement has Hiccup smirking. "Oh, but everybody here with exception of the twins has already met her. In fact Snotlout, she frequently hits you over the head with a tray when you try one of your pick up lines."

"WHAT!!" Snotlout, Fishlegs and I yell.

"Cuz, you aren't suggesting that Heather is......" Snotlout sputtered.

"The former leader of a rebel uprising to overthrow her brother." Hiccup finished for him.

"Yes that." Snotlout stated.

"I'm not implying it. I'm telling you it's a fact. Heather is Dagur's younger sister." Hiccup responded. "Now where was I. Oh, yes."

"Dagur's mansion looked more like an impenetrable fortress, which made normal rescue missions impossible." Hiccup stated. "It didn't help that there were no blueprints for the mansion."

"So dude. How did you get her out?" Tuffnut asked excited. "Even talking about 'The incident' in this country is grounds for imprisonment."

"Yes. Dagur sees it as an ultimate humiliation." Ruffnut adds. "So spill. What did you do?"

"I got a job as Dagur's personal bodyguard." Hiccup stated smirking as he watched our incredulous looks.

"Why?" I asked.

"What better way than to get the layout of the mansion then to follow the owner. Every possible escape route, camera angles, and security code available at your fingertips." Hiccup answered. "That's where Colonel Marchen comes in as well. He was a Lieutenant Colonel at the time and part of Dagur's security detail. He hated me for managing to get close to Dagur in the seven months I was there and tried to do everything he could to cast suspicion on me."

"Well the Colonel was always a bit of a kiss-ass to the higher ups." Ruffnut stated offhandedly.

"I'm guessing cuz, that your sarcastic bluntness got you the job pretty quick." Snotlout stated.

"Hey, I personally think it was my shooting skill." Hiccup says indigently but continues the story. "So for those seven months I learned the layout and guard rotations as well as discover exactly where Dagur kept his sister. She was frequently moved to different rooms in the mansion to confuse would be rescuers if there ever were any."

We were at this point all listening intently at Hiccup's story.

"Her usual guards had called in sick that day." Hiccup tells us with a smirk. "So Dagur asked me to keep an eye on her that night because he couldn't spare any other men as the rebel attacks were pretty frequent."

"So that night I decided to act. I snuck into the room only to receive a right hook to the face." Hiccup said grimacing. "It took some convincing but Heather finally decided to escape with me."

"So you headed for the wall?" Tuffnut asked.

"No. The walls were too high to scale. I led Heather to the middle of the mansion." Hiccup tells us.

"Why would you do that cuz?" Snotlout asked.

"Because Dagur liked to collect rare dragons and he had received a nest of Smothering Smokebreaths a few months ago. He put them in a giant cage in the middle of the mansion." Hiccup answered and I saw Fishlegs eyes widen.

"Hiccup you didn't." Fishlegs asked only to receive a grin in return.

"I did. I opened up the cage and let chaos spread through the mansion." Hiccup stated like it was an everyday occurrence.

"So agitated dragons in the mansion?" I ask but Fishlegs corrected me. "Agitated dragons which go after anything metal while creating fog in a mansion."

".........Oh......" I said as it dawned on me.

"Yes. The dragons took everything metal with them, including the nails, weapons, and large portions of the metal wall." Hiccup stated. "While everyone was panicking Heather and I used the fog they created as a cover to escape."

The twins gave Hiccup a standing ovation as he finished explaining.

"That was truly an epic sight." Tuffnut said.

"Yes, the entire mansion was in shambles and everything was pure and utter chaos." Ruffnut added with a dreamy look.

"So Dagur wants to get even with you because you destroyed his house, took his sister and made him look like an idiot?" I ask for clarification.

"That's basically it. Dagur also liked to wear metal bangles and the Smokebreaths took him for a ride that night." Hiccup added and then the twins fell to the floor in laughter.

"Hey, can we join you guys?" Tuffnut asked.

"Yeah, our army career is probably over already and you guys look like fun." Ruffnut added. "Think of all the chaos we could cause."

Hiccup, Snotlout, Fishlegs and I looked at each other, having a silent conversation. Finally I told them. "I don't see why not."

The twins were head-budding each other at the news when Fishlegs said. "We still need to get out of here though."

"Well all we have is this." Tuffnut stated.

"Wait you had a stick of dynamite with you the entire time." Hiccup asked and then face-palmed.

"It doesn't have a fuse." Ruffnut adds. "It's basically useless."

"No it isn't." Hiccup stated. "It just might get us out of here before Dagur makes an appearance. Give it here. I've got an idea."