Chapter 3

Astrid's POV

It had been two days since I had escaped the compound and had been taken in by a young boy who I called Soren now. He was quite happy with the name I had picked for him. So far my injuries have mostly healed except for my feet, which still ached.

I had just come back to the shack after doing some odd jobs for the old lady in the bakery that Soren introduced me to. She had given me a few loafs of bread for my help and I put them on the little table.

After a few minutes Soren came back in holding up an apple and a pear for me to see.

"Look what I found." He happily chirped.

"Found" I said with a raised brow. "More like swiped."

"Ah Astrid, don't give me that look." Soren whined as he placed the fruit on the table and I gave him half a loaf of bread.

"I don't like you stealing. You'll get in trouble with Sector Security." I tell Soren as I begin to peel the apple.

"Those guys won't come after me." Soren replied. "They have their hands full with trying to control the Outcasts."

"Hey Astrid, do you have a boyfriend?" Soren asked me curiously.

"What!! No!!" I yelled surprised. "Wait, why would you even ask that?"

"When I was in the marketplace I saw this weirdly dressed guy asking about you. He had a picture and everything." Soren replied while munching on his loaf of bread.

"What do you mean weirdly dressed? Describe him to me." I tell Soren and peak out the window.

"Well.........He had brown hair, wore dark glasses and he had like one of those suits on that you would see people from the other areas wearing." Soren told me as I was still looking out the window.

"Did he have a long black coat on as well?" I ask as I spot someone nearby.

"Yeah he did." Soren replied while looking at me curiously. "Why?"

"Because he is right near this place, and if he's looking for me then it means trouble." I tell the young boy and grab my bundle.

"Astrid, you're leaving?" Soren asked sadly.

"I got to little man." I tell him and ruffle his hair. "I most likely won't be able to stay in one place too long."

"Then I'm coming with!" Soren declared boldly.

"No Soren." I tell him. "These are dangerous people. They'll hurt you if they know you are with me. I'll lead him away from here. If anyone asks, you never seen me or heard of me."

I take one last peek out the window and see the man scanning the area. Then I turn back to the little boy. "Don't worry. I'll be okay." I tell him quickly and sneak out of the shack. "Goodbye Soren" I whisper but I got no reply back. It really hurts to leave the kid on his own again but I didn't want to involve him in what could be a dangerous situation.

I look back and see that I'm being followed. I quickly try to blend into the crowd and give him the slip but this guy was very good. He kept me in his sights at all times. I decide to speed up a bit and head into an even busier part of the slums.

I look back once more only to notice that the guy wasn't behind me anymore. 'Did I give him the slip?' I thought just as a hand clamped over my mouth and I was dragged into a dark alley.

I tried to scream and kick but my assailant only tightened his grip on me and dragged me further into the darkness.

"Don't make this harder than it already is." Was growled into my ear as he pushed into a dead end.