Chapter 12

Astrid's POV

We were following the dragon for a couple of minutes now and it was leading us through the forest towards an unknown destination. The storm had let up but the ground was still very muddy and slippery. Every now and then the dragon would look back to see if we were following it still.

"Where could it be leading us?" I question but then I notice Hiccup staring intently at the dragon. "Hiccup? What are you thinking?" I ask getting his attention.

"Hmm" Hiccup mumbled. "I was still wondering why he didn't fly away."

We had stopped when Hiccup answered and the dragon trotted back letting out a warble. I saw Hiccup look at the black dragon and then his eyes widened. "Of course!" He exclaims and stepped closer. 

"Hey...... eh...." Hiccup begins nervously as the dragon was eyeing him. "Can I have a look at your tailfin?" Hiccup asks only to receive an angry growl in return.

"Hiccup, what are you doing?" Fishlegs asked keeping his distance.

"He is wounded." Hiccup mumbled while he grabbed something from his coat.

"Hey, how about a trade?" Hiccup said as I saw him unwrap a chocolate bar. "You let me look at your tailfin and I'll give you some tasty chocolate."

"Hiccup are you seriously bribing a dragon with chocolate?" Snotlout asked incredulously.

"Well I can't lug around an Icelandic cod in my coat now can I?" Hiccup stated dryly while offering the dragon the chocolate.

I saw the dragon sniffing the air and slowly inched closer to Hiccup and the chocolate.

As the dragon slowly opened its maw I heard Hiccup say. "Hmmm, toothless. I could have sworn you had......"

Lightning fast teeth come out as the dragon snatches the bar from Hiccup. "Teeth..." Hiccup finishes in shock.

Then the dragon inches closer to Hiccup and starts sniffing him.

"Hey what?" Hiccup says but the dragon keeps sniffing him. "Oh......Fine." Hiccup says and reaches back into his coat and produces two more chocolate bars. The dragon sits with his tongue hanging out as Hiccup unwraps them and gives them to the dragon.

"I was saving those." Hiccup muttered as he saw his chocolate bars disappearing. The dragon then let out a happy warble and brought his tailfin closer to Hiccup.

"Guess you can bribe a dragon with chocolate." Snotlout said as I watch Hiccup inspect the tailfin. But when Hiccup wanted to touch the dragon's tail he was met with a warning growl.

"Well you did say that you only wanted to look at his tailfin." I told Hiccup. "You never said anything about touching."

"Not gonna hurt you bud." Hiccup said and held out his hand and turned his face away.

"Cuz, are you crazy! That dragon could bite your hand off." Snotlout said in alarm but the dragon only sniffed Hiccup's hand before pressing his snout against it.

"Guess you were wrong again Snotlout." I tell him while watching the interaction with interest.

"Oh, come on babe." Snotlout whined only to receive a hard punch to the shoulder.

"Ouch!!" Snotlout yelled and cradled his arm protectively.

"What did I tell you about calling me babe." I muttered causing Snotlout to back away a bit. I turn back to Hiccup and the dragon and see that Hiccup is inspecting the tailfin again.

"Looks like it's just sprained." Hiccup muttered. "You'll be back to flying in no time won't you Toothless."

The dragon, who Hiccup now called Toothless, gave a happy warble.

"Oh come on Hiccup. You're actually calling that dragon Toothless?" Snotlout asked but got an angry growl in return. "Not......that......there is anything......wrong with that." Snotlout quickly amended.

Soon Toothless was leading us through the forest again. He was now bounding like a energetic puppy through the shrubs.

We had apparently reached our destination which seemed to be a small village. Toothless let out a roar getting the villagers' attention. He then proceeded to nudge his snout against Hiccup and then jump in energetic circles around him.

"Toothless!" Hiccup exclaimed but the dragon kept on bouncing up and down.

"My my......... he seems much more hyper than ever." One of the villagers commented as we were being greeted.

"Welcome to our little village travelers." A middle-age woman stepped out of the gathered crowd to greet us. "I am Silvy, chieftain of this place. If the Night Fury welcomed you then so do we."

"Night Fury" Fishlegs sputtered and then looked at Toothless with newfound awe.

"Yes, this Night Fury has been hanging around our village for a couple of months now. He has kept the military from this place. Now who do I have the pleasure of addressing?" Silvy asked.

"I'm Hiccup, that's Astrid, Fishlegs and Snotlout." Hiccup introduces while trying to keep the energetic dragon off of him. We each wave when we are introduced.

"Strange. He is acting more hyper than normal." Silvy commented as she watched Toothless now jump around several villagers.

"Well someone thought it was a good idea to bribe him with chocolate." I say and nudge Hiccup in the stomach.

"Hey how was I to know that this would be the outcome." Hiccup mumbled. "I just wanted to check his injury."

"Injury?" Silvy asked and Hiccup explained how we got here, about the trappers, and the sprained tail.

"Well will you all accompany me then to our healer's hut? She can take a look at any injury all of you might have sustained." Silvy said and began to lead us through the village. As we walked past several villagers I heard mutters about how the Night Fury must think that we could help. This certainly peaked my interest.

Silvy showed us to a big hut and I took my chance to ask. "Silvy, I hope I'm not being too forward, but I heard some of the villagers talking. It would seem you have a problem and they seem to think that we could be of help."

Silvy lets out a sigh as she stops in front of the doors. "I think it would be best if I showed you." She tells us and pushes the door open.

What she revealed had us all standing there in shock.