Chapter 7

Astrid's POV

I let Hiccup enter the room first while I clutched the satchel a little closer. I had no idea what would be said about this item but I was both fearful if it turned out to be the real deal or just a fake.

If it was real than Drago and his plans to enslave us all would become all the more disturbing. If it wasn't then I'd have to live with the fact that my sister died for a hoax.

I looked around the small office which was cluttered with artifacts and maps. A portly blond haired man was seated behind a desk and rose to great us. He looked quite young for a Doctor.

"Dr. Ingerman" Hiccup began. "We spoke on the phone. This is Astrid and Soren."

"Oh yes yes. The fellow who said he had an interesting object to show me. Sit, sit all of you." He said while trying to clear up some clutter. "And please call me Fishlegs. Dr. Ingerman makes me feel old."

"Do fish have legs?" Soren asked innocently as he sat on the couch. This caused Fishlegs to laugh.

"Now you have been pretty tight lipped about this item." Fishlegs stated.

"There is reason to be." Hiccup told him. "Tell me what do you know about the King of the Wilderwest."

"The King of the Wilderwest. That is a tricky part of our history." Fishlegs murmured looking pensive. "There are many wild theories about it. There are some skeptics, but the nations of this world do recognize the title as one of power."

"So the King of the Wilderwest is real?" Soren asked excitedly from his seat.

"Yes it is, but the last king reigned over 400 years ago." Fishlegs confirmed. "This title isn't one passed down from father to son. A person can be crowned King of the Wilderwest if he holds all of the King's lost things."

At this both Hiccup and I look at each other. I then turn to Fishlegs and ask "Do you know how many there are?"

"There are believed to be ten in total. Grimbeard the Ghastly was the last king and he proclaimed that whoever holds his treasured items shall be crowned king. It is debated if these items actually still exist" Fishlegs told us. "Now if I may ask, why such an interest in this legend."

"Astrid, show him." Hiccup said and motioned to Fishlegs. I nod and open my satchel.

"This may be one of the King's lost things" Hiccup commented. "We need you to verify if it is real."

I hand the golden object over to Fishlegs who took in carefully and examined it. It wasn't long before I saw his eyes widen and his brows shoot up.

"This is......... This is......." Fishlegs sputtered. "Incredible. This has the crest of Grimbeard the Ghastly on it."

"Where?" Hiccup asked as he and I scooted closer.

"Right there on the side." Fishlegs said as he handed the round object to Hiccup. "It is really small, but the craftsmanship is superb."

Hiccup turned the item slightly and there on the side was an insignia so small that we all missed it. Hiccup ran his thumb over it and then the front sprang open giving us all a shock.

"Oh my. That thing was apparently a button." Fishlegs stated and began to inspect the now open item.

"Well now I know what that ticking was." Hiccup murmured. "It's a clock."

"Oh not just a clock." Fishlegs exclaimed with glee. "It also has a compass."

"Wait." I say as I take a look. "This isn't the right time."

"True, but I don't see anything that can correct the time." Fishlegs stated as he gave the item another once over. "The craftsmanship is definitely amazing and Grimbeard's crest only makes a stronger argument that it's one of the King's lost thing, but where did you acquire it?"

Both Hiccup and I tense a bit, but I decide to tell Fishlegs the truth about the cult and Drago being after me.

When I'm done I notice Fishlegs sitting stock-still. He recovers and then ask. "Excuse me did you say Drago, as in Drago Bludvist?" He ask and I nod.

"You've heard of the man." Hiccup states.

"Yes, he's a disgraced academic who was spouting some very radical ideas." Fishlegs confirmed. "I never thought he would start a cult."

"So that thing really is one of the King's lost things?" Hiccup asked while pointing to the compass/clock.

"Most likely. I do want to run some more tests on it." Fishlegs commented.

"What are you thinking Hiccup?" I ask as I watch him cross his arms over his chest.

"If Drago wants to take over so badly and this is one of the items that he needs, why not just destroy it." Hiccup stated.

"NO!!" Both Fishlegs and I yell.

"This is a priceless historical artifact!!" Fishlegs squeaked out. "To destroy something like this would be sacrilege."

"It's the fastest way." Hiccup stated.

"But this could also confirm if other items are part of the King's lost things." Fishlegs sputtered.

"Other items?" Hiccup asked. "You have an idea where another item is don't you?"

"It's only speculation." Fishlegs said. "Grimbeard left us with a prophecy."

"The Dragontime is coming, and only a King can save you now.

The King shall be the Champion of Champions.

You shall know the King by the King's Lost Things:

A fang-free dragon,

my second-best sword,

my Roman shield,

an arrow-from-the-land-that-does-not-exist,

the heart's stone,

the key-that-opens-all-locks,

the ticking-thing,

the Throne,

the Crown.

And last and best of all the ten,

the Dragon Jewel will save all men."

"Sounds more like a shopping list than a prophecy." Hiccup muttered. "I'm assuming the ticking-thing is that clock."

Fishlegs nods and then says. "There is a Roman shield which I believe to have been owned by Grimbeard displayed in the University museum. I see you haven't given up on the idea of destroying this item but I would like to request that we could at least confirm if the shield truly is one of his treasures."

"Hiccup there shouldn't be any problem with that request right?" I ask and Hiccup hesitantly nods.

"Lead the way Fishlegs." He says as we all prepare to follow Fishlegs to the museum.

We walk to a building which looks like something out of a Picasso painting and Fishlegs leads us into the exhibition.

"What the hell is going on here!!" Fishlegs yelled as we took in the scene before us.