Chapter 20

Cas is still with him,  despite what he knows, but Dean can tell there's a small part that is absolutely terrified. He sees it when he moves too suddenly towards Cas, or if he has anything sharp in his hands. 

"Fuck!" Cas shouts from the kitchen.  The smell of burnt food floats into the living room. Dean stands and makes his way into the kitchen. Cas is scraping the burnt food into the trash can. "I'm sorry I burnt dinner, I was so focused on cutting the-"

"I could have helped." Dean states,  folding his arms. "I'm quite handy with a blade."

"I had it under control," Cas murmurs. 

"Clearly you didn't, 'cause now our food is burnt." Dean shakes his head. "Forget cooking, let's go and get something to eat." Dean offers.

"Fine, dinner is screwed anyways." Cas sighs.

Dean takes Cas out to a little diner.

"Going out for dinner,  always a great choice." Dean grins widely as they sit across from each other in a booth.

"I'd hate to disagree,  but ordering pizza is always fantastic as well." Cas chuckles. 

"You got me there." Dean chuckles.

"What can I get you boys?" A friendly looking waitress approaches. Doris, as her name tag says, is plump and a bit older. 

"Coffee," both men say at once. 

"Sure thing!" Doris exclaims before rushing off.  She returns moments later with two cups and a steaming coffee pot.  She pours their drinks.

"You boys ready to order?" She has her pen poised above her pad of paper.

"I will take the bacon cheeseburger with extra onions, fries for the side.  And if you could I would love a piece of your best pie." Dean doesn't even need to look at the menu, he knows what he wants, he's been here plenty of times.

"And for you, sweetheart?" Doris turns to Cas.

"Do you guys still serve breakfast this late?" Cas asks.

"Of course we do, what'll you have?" Doris smiles at him.

"A stack of pancakes with a side of hash browns, please and thank you." Cas says politely.

"You got it!" Doris nods and leaves them.  Cas notices that Dean is staring off behind him. When Cas glances back, he can only see the cashier standing at the register,  a customer just leaving him.

"What are you looking at, Dean?" Cas asks curiously.

"The cashier," Dean frowns.  "He's new, I haven't seen him here before."

"Well, that's what businesses do, Dean,  they hire new people when they need to." Cas tilts his head at Dean, squinting his eyes slightly.

"I know that, Cas," Dean rolls his eyes,  but he doesn't delve further into his concerns of the new cashier. 

Cas tries to act uncaring about it.  Dean probably has a very good reason for keeping a close eye on the cashier.

Yeah, like murder,  a small voice in the back of Cas' mind whispers.

"You aren't going to kill him, are you?" Cas asks quietly.

"Only if I have a reason to." Dean responds.  Cas doesn't like the tone in his voice.

As their dinner progresses,  Cas gets agitated. Dean isn't talking much and everytime Cas tries to start a conversation, Dean lets it fall flat.

Suddenly, Dean stands without saying a word. Cas watches as he moves toward the register, just as the cashier starts walking their way.  Dean bumps into him.