"I mean c'mon can't you smell?" 

She scoffs, running a hand through her hair. "And why the hell would you care?" She asked. I open my mouth slightly, ready to explain to her all those years she was there for me and how much I did care. But she spoke before I could. 

"You leave me like I'm nothing pushing every one of us away to run and bang your 'lover boy'. After everything we've been through, you don't even give me or Hector a glance. And now that I am about to screw a boy in a hallway you decide it's a good idea to be my best friend!" She takes a breath, skilfully hiding the pain by replacing it with anger. 

I was taken back, I mean she was right. But I didn't expect the words to hurt so much. 

"I'm sorry, but this isn't you Veronica," I say as gently as I can. 

"How would you know!" She barks. 

"Because we grew up together, we did everything together. We told everything to each other. I know you better than you know the contents of you makeup bag!" 

My chest was pounding and my head was spinning faster than a top. All these years spent with her, cherishing every memory and she believes I couldn't care less. 

"And yet, you ditched not only me but the whole family for a boy." I heard gasps from a crowd that appeared from the dust. But her words hit me like a bullet through the chest. 

She honestly thinks I left her for a boy? She believes I don't remember our friendship, or that i even care about it. Or even remember the moments we shared. 

I clench my fists, trying hard to fight back tears. "I didn't leave you for a boy," I whisper. She rolls her eyes, her fingers also curling into fists. Fire blazed within her eyes as she looked at me, her mouth opening ever so slightly to fire those harsh words back at me. But then her eyes darken as they shifted to something behind me, the way they did when she wanted to kill her prey. 

"You alright?" A familiar deep voice filled the hallways as Xavier placed a hand on my shoulder, his touch immediately causing any tension to leave my body. 

How? I have no idea. 

Veronica doesn't say anything, in fact no one whispers a word. With my heart breaking, I nod my head a small sign that begged for him to take me away. He listened. And as we walked away, Veronica's cruel words filled the hallways. 

***

I scribbled furiously in my book, my mind racing as the situation with Veronica flooded my vision and broke my heart. We've argued before, it was inevitable for best friends to do so after knowing each other for that long. But those arguments were small, meaningless misunderstandings that didn't leave us feeling torn. 

Never had we argued about me being kicked out of the pack. 

No, it was because of me 'leaving the pack'. 

It hurt me that she would accuse me of such a thing, but it infuriated me that to know my Dad didn't tell anyone the truth. 

For someone who has known me their entire life, why wouldn't they question that fact?

"Nicola?" 

It was unfair that Veronica was left to think I had betrayed her because of one person's lie. It wasn't fair that she believed I left the pack I loved for a man I share a bond with. 

"Nicola?" 

I had to tell them. There's no way they should believe a lie told by a man they should all trust. But why was she acting so strange? Being with a boy like before was something she didn't do ever, not unless she was afraid of something. When she was upset, she'd up her game, make them drool for her more before bringing her pleasure.It was never a case where she was so desperate she was willing to be the star of some high school sex tape. 

But why was she afraid?

"Nicola?"

I have to help her, bring her to realise that she doesn't have to be afraid. 

Wether she wants my help or not!

"Nicola!" 

I jolt, blinking fiercely as My teacher stood in front of me, her gaze set on me. Everyone's eyes were on me as if they were waiting for me to pounce. The teacher how ever just looked concerned. 

"Are you alright?" She asked, her blue eyes switching from me to the broken pencil in my hands. I looked down, staring at the broken pieces of wood I had created down to the page of random swirls that occupied my page. 

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a moment before replying with a simple nod. The teacher looks back at me, skeptical as her lips press into a firm line. She nods before continuing with her lesson. 

I sighed as I looked back at my page, my mind following the random swirls. It felt selfish to want to know what was wrong with my best friend. But it also felt weird to call her that, to still want to be there for her even though I have completely betrayed her. 

Regardless of if I was kicked out or just left, I still should have been there for her, I shouldn't have been such a bitch and leave both of them. 

It wasn't my place to go back to the pack, I was not just kicked out but I had personally made sure I had nothing to do with it. 

And I wanted to be the alpha? 

Why is there heavy weight in my heart? Was this guilt? 

"Miss?" I asked, shooting my hand up in the air. She swirled toward me, "Yes Nicola?" 

I sighed, "Can I please go to the Nurse?" 

She nodded, a small look of concern crossing her features before focusing back on her class. I gathered my things and walked out the door, heading to a completely different destination I promised. 

*** 

Sorry for the short chapter and long wait! Hope you enjoyed this though :) 

Please vote and/or comment, always great to hear from you all!