Chapter 22

"Bring out the horror movies and let us celebrate!" Andrew hollers, his hands covering his mouth, forming a circle as his eyes glint with delight. Connor follows close behind, his hands resting in his pockets as we walk away from school.

Xavier and I basically walk hip to hip, our hearts racing as we sneak a few shy glances.

Why did this make me feel so happy? I hated the idea of us actually liking each other not even a few months ago. Honestly, in this moment with my heart racing and my skin burning, I couldn't care less.

Human or not, I felt for Xavier, and the days ahead only meant more excitement to come. I have never allowed myself to feel, would this experience be as great as they cut it out to be in movies and books?

I notice Xavier's eyes grow dark as they glance at Andrew, his lips falling into a deep frown. "No way in hell are we watching a horror movie," He growls. I raise my eyebrows as I pull my head back, eyeing him questionably.

"Is the big bad Xavier afraid of the creatures that haunt in the night," Connor coos, slapping a hard hand on Xavier's back as he closes the gap between us. Xavier's cheeks turn a shade of pink as his frown deepens, causing a laugh to escape my lips. He glances at me, before turning his gaze to the ground.

"You have got to be kidding me," I giggle, shifting my head to meet his gaze. He avoids eye contact.

"Yeah, big bad boy over here is dead scared of horror movies," Xavier says, completely bored of the conversation as he focuses on the path ahead of him. I can't help but grin as Xavier's chest rises defensively.

"I am not! Horror movies just have really bad plots and are really boring to watch," He babbles. Even he was finding it hard to believe himself. I giggle, a mischievous smirk floating to my lips.

Why was this so cute to watch?

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that. It might make you scream less next time," Connor chuckles, still wedging a gap between Xavier and I. Xavier's cheeks turn bright red once again, but he straightens his posture further never the less.

"You scream?" I am finding it so hard not to laugh right now.

"Like a girl," Connor answers, feigning a Russian accent. I only laugh harder, imagining the scene.

"Xavier's very hard to find when we put a horror movie on," Andrew states, a grin plastered on his lips. I wipe away small tears with my finger, clutching my stomach as I imagine Xavier huddled under a blanket, trembling. His bulky build barely able to fit.

But as I shift my gaze back to a once blushing Xavier, I notice his fingers curl into fists as his body becomes rigid. I look to Connor, notices his sudden change in mood, and how Andrew stands, his eyes glances between something in the distance and Xavier.

My eyebrows knit together as I follow their line of sight.

"Nicola?"

The sheer sound of his voice made me freeze, the tone made my breath hitch and the coincidence made my blood run cold.

I stare at Theo, my mind blank as worry clouds my vision.

What is he doing here?

Why is he just a few km away from my school, from our school?

I notice Connor shift slightly to stand in front of me, his eyes dark as he eyes Theo cautiously. I shift my gaze between him and Theo, my eyebrows knitted. I see Theo halt immediately in the distance, his hands forming into fists before his fingers uncurl.