Chapter 9

A faint echo of familiar voices filtered through door that lay ajar, the ushered words waking me slightly. With my eyes still shut, heavy breaths escape my cracked lips. I feel the gentle warmth of the sun that crept across the floors, pulling at my eyelids, begging for me to awake.

With a small groan, I force my pounding head expecting to find the source of the chatter.

Instead I see Xavier's dangerous eyes scrutinizing me, boring holes through me as his lips moved to utter one small word:

Pathetic.

Screaming, I lash out toward his laughing figure, my fingers straining as they curled into a weapon. I will for my nails to dig deep into his figure, hoping to conflict the same pain at which he caused on me. I scratch and scratch only to find his grinning figure to be undamaged as his laughter fills my ears. My body shakes as hot sweat covers my pale skin and hot tears blur my vision.

As soft hushes and warm hands rub against my back and arms, I watch through blurred eyes as his figure fades. Nevertheless, his words still fill my ears. I feel someone's arms wrap around my shaking body and calming whispers echo through me. Sobbing, I rest my head against Mom's chest.

"It's okay my pup," Mom whispers, her hand stroking my tangled hair, "You're safe." Every part of me fights away her comfort. I didn't want my anger to dissipate; all I wished for was to rip his throat out, to end him. But that thought caused more tears and pain than I wished it to.

I hope you are satisfied Xavier, you have done more to me in a day than another wolf in a year.

Mom cradles me in her arms, her fingers patting my hair as she whispers into my ears, doing her best to calm me. And she waits patiently for me to stop my useless sobbing, hoping to find out what had happened.

"It's not fair, t-hey- it's not fair mom!" I cry into her shirt, hating how much drool mixes with my streaming tears. I feel her tense at my words, her mother instincts kicking. I was a pathetic, vulnerable human girl.

"I know pup, I know."

How could she know, she wasn't there. She didn't see the pain they inflicted on me, she doesn't know the hold Xavier has on me. How could she understand how Amber yearns for him and all I do is wish for his existence to disappear. But one word kept pulsing through me:

Pathetic. And it was none other than a human boy who had whispered it.

Not my mate.

"What happened? I demand to know what happened!" Dad's thunderous footsteps could have been heard a mile away, but his voice exploded just as quickly as he did. I imagined his large overpowering figure storm through the door, his eyes red in fury as he destroys anything left on this earth.

Mom's head popped up before her hand stretched outward, silently asking for him to calm down and approach our small embrace.

But this was my father.

Instead, he paced the room, sending sparks from his skin while steamed from his ears. "I swear, I will find who over the fu-"

"Language!" Mom hissed, and I found myself burring further into her. Dad simply gave her a sharp apologetic glance before continuing his fit of rage. I just imagined the way he would have been raking his hands through his hair, before surrendering them to hang in fists beside his thighs. But I didn't imagine the words that were slipping from his snarling lips.

"I will rip the mother - suffers- throats out, break their fudges legs with my bare hands and throw them off a Fu- bridge!"

More tears stain my cheeks as his words fluttered through the room. Every damn feeling that wasn't fear or anger belonged to someone else, belonged to someone who actually loved the man that allowed others to beat her.