Chapter 32

"It's weird how they are looking at us," I whisper into Xavier's ears as I do my best to avoid the stares of nosy teenagers. He simply grinned as we continued down the polished marble floor. Xavier insisted on going to school today, his surprisingly eager mood as he rushed to get ready in the morning.

But the worst part was watching his smile never leave his face. Don't get me wrong, I adore watching him so happy, but the nagging question was 'why'. Why on Earth would he be so happy to go to school of all places?

"Mate, how 'bout instead of showing off the girl you just banged, focus on the fact you forced us to come to school on a day we had a bloody test!" Andrew growled, his eyebrows knotted together into a downward arch as his lips pouted and he crossed his arms. His eyes fell on everything like they were something worth burning, a look that was scaring so many students.

"Why the hell would you do that?" Connor mutters, his anger much more concealed but somehow scarier than Andrew's. I couldn't help but feel their anger rub off on me, the constant bickering and slight growls pushing me to the edge of irritation. The way they continued to bother merry Xavier (who was still smiling, don't ask me how) and the odd looks from any student we walked pass.

"Sorry complain department's closed, you should have studied," Xavier said, a smirk displayed across his lips. The boys looked at him in shock, their eyes slowly narrowing.

"You should be glad we have so much damn respect for you, you would be dead if we didn't," Connor threatened, the words sliding off his tongue like venom. Ignoring the comment, I sighed, my mind trying its best to ignore everything and just focus on the feeling of Xavier's arms around me.

But a strange scent hit me. An aura of burnt rubber or plastic filled the air, the toxic fumes burning my nostrils. Confused, I looked around, my nose twitching as I shifted to follow the scent. I push past random students, people who don't spare us a glance as they continue their conversations or watch their phones.

My breath hitched. 

It was the usual sight, watching her with some random guy. The usual hot and heavy situation. But this time it wasn't right. 

Rather than her body subtly taking the lead, she was desperately guiding this boy. Her hands pulling at the waist of his shorts like she was eager to have them off, the act she allowed him to run his hand up her skirt to flash anyone who passed. This boy had matted hair, bushy eyebrows and reeked with burnt rubber. 

This couldn't be Veronica, she was the girl who hooked up with the boys who at least washed their hair or took pride in their presentation. But this boy was nothing she would ever touch. 

This wasn't her at all. 

"Veronica?" Her name slipped off my tongue like a foreign language. 

The boy broke the kiss for a moment, ready to see who was asking for his booty call. However, Veronica quickly snapped his attention back to her as she slipped her hand into his jeans. 

"Veronica!" I shouted before pulling the boy away from her. Her eyes hot open with rage, a large frown slipping to her lips as a growl escaped her throat. 

I stared at her, completely dumbfounded. Her eyes found mine and I swear sadness cross them before they were replaced with pure hatred. 

"What the hell Nicola?" She growled staring daggers through me. I blink, genuinely suprised she couldn't see it for herself. 

"This," I gestured toward the boy, who by which just continued to look at Veronica like she was a donut. "Is not you!" I shout, getting protective of my life long friend.