Chapter 23

The door gives a small shriek as it etches open, my fingers brushing against the cold wood as I shuffle into the house.

Silence welcomes me.

My shoulders droop as I make my way, growing uncomfortable, as I notice not a living thing was in sight. With my heartbeat increasing, I continue, my pace growing as my breaths become quick.

Where are they?

I jolt as I hear the shuffle of paper being turned and a small sniff fluttering through the air.

Sam sits on the couch, his legs crossed and his eyes intent on the thick book he held in front of him.

Okay, Sam is here, check. Where is everyone else?

I clear my throat as I slip my back bag off my shoulders and fling it across the room. Sam shifts his gaze toward me.

"They all went to the bar," He states as he looks back at his book, completely drawn from the real world.

"A-and Xavier?"

He pauses completely, his eyes no longer watching the page but rather focusing on me. His eyebrows furrow for a moment as he studies me like I was a mistreated stray on the street. Slowly, just when the awkward silence began to build, he unknotted his eyebrows.

"In his room."

Without realizing I was holding a breath, I sigh.

I whisper a small thank you before I make my way toward his room, my heart pounding faster with each step.

What was happening before? Why did he have his back up about Theo?

"You had no right to k-"

What was he about to say?

Holding in a deep breath, I knock on his door twice.

"Hack off."

I jolt, the tone in his voice hurting more than I thought. All I wanted to do was comfort him, to make him feel better than he was right now. I wanted to sit beside him, to listen to him, to understand him.

Was he willing to open up?

"It's Nicola," Apparently, I was willing to take the chance.

"Well in that case, hurry the hell up and piss off"

Wrapping my fingers around the handle, I push the door open without another thought. Part of me wanting to scold him for being an asshole, the other reminding me he was hurt.

And I was going to be the one to help him feel better.

He sat on his bed, his curved back facing me, his head hanging low. I open my mouth, ready for the perfect words to come out, but nothing seemed right.

"I thought I told you to hack off," He mutters, his voice hoarse. I stride closer toward him, my body craving to crawl onto the bed and slip my arms around him from behind.

"I came here to talk," I say, the bead creaking slightly beneath my weight as I continue to get closer to him.

"Isn't that just great," He says, sarcasm ringing loud and clear. My frown deepens as I slip my arms around him.

He tenses immediately.

"What are you doing?" He stutters, his body rigid as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"I'm pretty sure it's called comforting, I'm not quite sure, I haven't done it in a while. But I suppose none of my family ever did. At least not until you came along," I start, my heart racing as the though of us being so close. And my mind drifting to the heat and sensation his touch gave me.

"You see, it was probably the 2nd time in my entire lifetime when my Dad was willing to acknowledge my presence. Because he knew someone except for him had hurt me. And I honestly think that scared him."

"What has this got to do with anything?" Xavier whispers.

"Shhh, I'm getting to the point," I whisper back.

"But when he found out who you were, and what you did, he knew that I couldn't have you as my mate. Well, not as a suitable one."

I could have sworn his body froze even more. But I couldn't stop; I needed to tell him why I knew Theo, to get whatever idea he had in his head out. It's not fair to keep what my Dad had in mind as a secret.

Not when he is my Mate.

"So, as narrow minded and as asshole-ish as he could get, he found Theo. And basically promised him a family, for one price."

"To mate with you."

The sound of a lottery ticket win sound in my head but guilt hits thick in my gut, because rather than hearing his pissed off tone, I heard a much scarier dark 'I'm going to rip his throat out' tone.

And maybe explaining this to him wasn't a good idea, but it had to be done.

"But that's my story...that's why I know Theo. Not because he has done anything to me. If anything he was actually really nice to me. But what I want to know, is; why do you know him and why do you hate him so much so that you were willing to hurt him so badly?"

A long sigh escapes his gritted teeth as his shoulders caved in further and his body relaxed.

"We grew up as kids."

I feel like slapping him. One kind of an explanation is that? Great story Shakespeare!

Silence grows thick in the air as I begin to realize he wasn't willing to share anymore, not without some kind of questions.

"But he did something right?" I waver, lifting my head from his shoulder to study him closely. His gaze grew distance for a few short moments before he stood up, shaking me from him as he did so.

Confused, I watch as he turns to face me, his eyes swollen and puffy as they avoid eye contact. His cheeks were red, with dry tear streaks leaving long trails.

My heart sinks as I eye him, gasping slightly as I wish to wrap my arms.

"You know what, I don't want to talk about it. Not now," He whispers his voice surprisingly stern, as he stands rigid.

"Then you don't have to," I whisper quickly as I bolt to wrap my arms tight around his neck, burring my head into his shoulder as I fight back my own tears.

Why was I hurting for him?

Moments of silence pass, and just as I think I should let go, his arms slip around my torso, pulling me in closer as he too buried his head on my shoulder. Almost like time seizes to exist, we hold each other close, and soon enough, I feel soft sobs erupt.

Not from me, but from my mate.

It was hard to hear the soft sobs, and with every erratic rise and fall of his chest, I couldn't help but feel a little part of my heart crumble. And with each shaky breath, more tears threaten to fall down my cheeks.

He may not have explained to me what was making him hurt, but he was able to open enough to not push me away. And although the only sound is our shaky breaths mixing together, I felt at peace with him.

I felt like he is truly here.

And that thought alone, made that one tear fall.

I didn't want to move, nor did he. And as we wait, time passing, his breathing becomes light, his sobs slowly stop and his grip tightens.

"Say something," I whisper, finding the silence daunting. His grip once again becomes tighter causing something to spark through me.

I knew that a hug longer than 20's made the trust between two people greater, but this hug felt different, a special different. And I wasn't prepared to let him go.

"Hold me," He whispers through a shaky breath.

And that's exactly what I did. 

***

Please let me know what you think in the comments below. 

Please vote if you enjoyed and love you all !