Chapter 3

Moon Heart watched the cats of Moonclan create dens. Some were making the warriors den while the others were making the nursery. Moon Heart joined the cats making the nursery. Swift Spring, Moss Secret, Flash Spirit and Pearl Wind were the cats there.

  They were sheathing cotton and putting it into piles. Finally, Flash Spirit noticed her. "Oh, hey Moon Heart!" the silver she cat said. "Hi," Moon Heart said "How's the nursery coming along?"

"Pretty good" Swift Spring said, still getting the cotton in a pile. "That's good" Moon Heart said. "Would you like to join us?" Pearl Wind asked, smiling at the leader.

  "I'd love to!" Moon Heart said. She grabbed some cotton and started peeling the cotton off the stalk. Once there was no more cotton to sheath, Moon Heart instructed Swift Spring and Moss Secret to start lining the inside of the nursery with the cotton. Moon Heart and the others would gather some soft leaves and ferns to line the outside.

  Moon Heart padded in the middle of Flash Spirit and Pearl Wind in the forest that was starting to get dark. "Look!" Pearl Wind said, pointing with her tail at a bush that was covered in green leaves. Since Leaf Fall was approaching so soon, it was hard to find only green leaves.

  The she cats grabbed as many leaves and ferns as they could carry. The sun was almost set when they were back at the camp.

  The inside was completely lined with cotton. "Nice work" Moon Heart said to the cats that had been working on it. She turned to the warriors den, which was made of wood bark. It was almost done and looked good.

  The she cats set their leaves, ferns and flower stems down to sleep. Pearl Wind walked over to Hatchkit and Seedkit and curled up near them and fell asleep.

The camp was quiet.

***

The next morning cats immediately started working on the dens. The dawn patrol, which consisted of Wind Winter, Moss Secret and Envy Secret, had just left. The rest of the cats started working on the nursery.

Flash Spirit wouldn't stop talking. "I think Moss Secret and Wind Winter are going to hook up! They've been hanging out all the time. Plus, my sister won't stop talking about him!" The chatter box would say.

Moon Heart resisted the urge to scream at the she cat. Sure, she was Stone Teller mate, but there was no question her feelings toward Wind Winter were more than friendly. Seedkit popped his head out of the den and ran to his mother. "Momma!" He said, laughing and tackling Pearl Wind.

The anger Moon Heart had just felt turned into sadness, of what could've been. If only.... Well that's not important now. It was just a comforting thought that Stone Teller and her could've been parents.

Moon Heart continued on stitching the leaves together on the nursery. When the dawn patrol arrived back at camp, the cats were 3/4 done with the nursery.

The cats switched job and the warriors who were working in the nursery took a break. Moon Heart looked at the scattered prey across the camp.

"Warriors that are free, get all the prey and put it in a pile in the center of camp" The leader instructed. The cats did so and after all the prey was there, the cats decided it should be called the "Fresh Kill Pile" and when prey went bad, they would give it to the medicine cat in case they needed it. If not, they would throw out the prey.

  "We should share this idea with the other clans!" Flash Spirit said. "Yeah!" Swift Spring agreed. Moon Heart thought about it "Of course, but where will we share it?" She asked the cats, hoping one of them had a suggestion.

  "We could meet at the waterfall!" Hatchkit exclaimed "We can do it... every full moon! And... We could share what has happened over the past moon!" All the cats looked at the kit and they were all thinking the same thing, 'How does this kit know so much?'

Moon Heart broke the silence. "Great idea! Swift Spring, Flash Spirit and Blood Spring, go share this with the other clans and tell me what their response is!" She called out