❝ i can hurt you from inside ❞

Start from the beginning

"Do you want a thank you or something?" I asked, not looking at I entered my combination.

"Ashton hates eavesdroppers," she replied.

"That's fucking awesome for him." I knew I was pushing it, but I couldn't help it. Something about Keira just set me off. She was the one member of the Elite I still couldn't figure out and she was probably the one pulling the strings. I shoved my books in the locker, purposely stalling a bit so I wouldn't have to look at her.

That didn't slide past her. Keira straightened and slammed my locker door shut, almost catching me in the face. "Don't forget this is a game, Elena," she said. "You're supposed to make him love you."

"I haven't forgotten," I replied through gritted teeth. I couldn't. Every time I got anywhere close to doing so, someone, or something would remind me that none of this was really real.

I had a little less than two and a half months left. Until the end of January. With how things were going, it was doubtful that I'd pull it off.

"You know," I started slowly. "You never said what would happen if I don't so it."

She raised an eyebrow. "I think you can guess what it is," she replied.

Ruined reputation? "I don't care much about reputation," I told her quietly.

"But your parents jobs rely on it," she said, correctly guessing the one reason why I hadn't already walked away.

"I don't think you could ruin them so easily," I lied. I wasn't quite sure what to think. Raine and Kaden were pretty powerful- Raine was an internationally famous actress and Kaden owned the world's most successful law form. But it was the Elite. Four of the most powerful families in the world.

Keira laughed, but it was more mocking than humorous. "If you really believe that, you wouldn't be here."

"Maybe I'm just curious," I countered. And I was, curious, that is. I wasn't sure whether it was curiosity, or fear that made me stay.

She shrugged. "Maybe that too, but whether you admit it or not, you're still afraid of what will happen if you don't play by our rules."

I dug my nails into my palm. Everything she said was a little too close to the truth for comfort. "Why?" I ground out.

Keira raised an eyebrow. "Why what?"

"Why do you guys play this... game?"

"Maybe we're just bored little rich kids looking to have fun," she replied, both sarcasm and bitterness dripping from her tone.

"I doubt that." My response came out barely above a whisper, despite the fact that I had tried to make it strong.

Her eyebrow arched higher. "Why so?"

"Nathan wouldn't agree to it. Neither would Vanessa. Even Skylar and Ashton wouldn't, I think."

"But you think me and Jace would."

I didn't say anything.

Yeah, maybe a little. The Winston siblings were confusing, cryptic, and downright cruel sometimes.

"You're very quick to judge, Elena," she said, her voice low. Dangerous.

"You're forcing me to get someone to fall in love with me, and telling me there's consequences if I don't," I shot back. "What am I supposed to think?"

"It's a game," she said.

A game, my ass. "You don't have to threaten to ruin reputations."