Chapter Twenty-Seven

We have a routine now. After only 3 weeks, we have a routine.

Wake up
Get ready for the day
Eat breakfast together
Take a walk together
Talk about political moves together
He leaves for an hour for kingly business
We eat lunch together
I watch him do some more kingly business
We eat dinner together
We talk
We get ready for bed
We fall asleep together

Day after day, it gets so boring! I am going crazy. He isn't cold. He isn't hard. Maven doesn't even bring up any past event, ever! But he also isn't close to me. He doesn't confide in me. He only listens and talks of nonsense!

I'm never going to gain his trust. He will never give me a chance to betray him.

One day I wake up and Maven is already gone. I sleepily look around the room.

Nothing.

I smile to myself, glad for some space...when Jon rushes in. He's panicked. His clothes are ripped and his hair is messy. His eyes are going crazy, looking in all different directions. Kneeling down next to me, he cries and begs like a child. I snarl.

"Mare, you need to listen to me. Maven is onto us. He knows how I've been talking with Cal and plotting for the guard. He's going to kill me. You need to get me out of here." Jon talks fast, confusing me even more. My anger burns deep.

"What are you talking about, Jon? You. Are. Not. On. My. Side. Your against us. You were working with Maven the whole time! You have killed my people and your talking crazy! Get out of here before I kill you!"

He looks at me with pleading eyes. "Cal never told you?" He asks me, then he looks down, talking to himself. "He never told her. Huh. Never.... told her."

He sounds completely crazy. He's gone insane. I almost laugh, but I can't because Maven walks in.

"Jon?" He questions, very sternly. Regal. Mature.

Jon stands up and brushes himself off. He nods his head at me and smiles darkly. Then he turns toward the king.

"She is completely oblivious to everything, sire." He states, normal now.

I look at Maven. "What is-?"

Maven smiles brightly before looking at me. "My dear, you've passed my test. I had to make sure you weren't playing me again, so I had Jon play a little part."

I stand in front of him, arms crossed. One hip is cocked and I glare. Maven laughs, sounding very staged.

"Oh darling, don't get upset. You understand, don't you?"

I raise my eyebrows at him. Yeah, I understand that I'm very pissed off, thank you very much. Same old Maven. Same old routine.

Jon disappears and then it's just Maven and I. I whisper to the floor.

"I trusted you, Maven. I trusted you."

His face drops, like he discovered something. Maven walks up to me and puts my face in his hands. He kisses my lips softly and I allow him.

"I know, Mare. I do. It's just... Now I can trust you fully, with everything. I know you won't betray me this time."

And now I'm in.

Now, we can make the final moves on the game board.

Now, we can win.

Heyyyy!!! Sorry this s u c k e d but I had MAJOR writers block on this in-between chapter. Don't you worry guys, Maven will be getting down and dirty next time, I swear it... And I'm pretty sure Cal has been gone too long... And Farley, Kilorn, Shade, Evangeline....