.:Driving Myself Insane:. Chapter Thirty One

The questioning wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't worrying about Colby the entire freaking time. They just asked how I knew Riley, how the fight started, if Riley had ever done anything else that we hadn't told the police, stuff like that. 

The fact that Colby was in the hospital was all my fault. If I hadn't made him come outside to help - though Skyler would have probably told him anyway and he'd come out - he could have been okay. But, instead, the police didn't know if he was going to live or not! I mean, sure they were police and it would have made more sense just to ask a doctor, but still. It was only two wounds. Though, the second was really deep.

Anyway, I was in the waiting room with the others while Colby's dad was in Colby's hospital room. I hadn't seen him yet. Part of me didn't want him to see me like this - make up ruined, puffy eyes, all that. That part was insanely tiny, though. I needed to see him before I exploded. I needed to know that he was alright. That after some stitches, he'll be back to the annoying, sarcastic dork that I grew to love. I didn't want to lose him. I couldn't lose him. 

My head was on my dad's shoulder. He and mom had shown up to make sure that we were all right. Of course, most of us were perfectly fine. Blake and Jackson looked a little beat up, but it wasn't something they had to worry about. The nurses had just gotten them ice packs to ease any pain. But an ice pack wouldn't fix Colby. 

I hated Riley. I hated him so much. I was disgusted with the part of me that had once loved him. After all, he wasn't lovable. He was bad. He deserved to be thrown in jail for the rest of his pathetic life. Maybe that part of me had thought that I could change him. But that part of me was an idiot! He'd hurt the guy that I loved. Riley Diamond was dead to me.

Dad had his arm around my shoulders, trying to comfort me, while Mom was sitting uncomfortably on the other side of me, not knowing what to say. Justin wasn't there, but even if he was, I couldn't be mad at him. All my anger was focused on Riley. Besides, I shouldn't blame him for my parents divorce. You couldn't help who you loved. I knew that more than anybody in the damn hospital. I'd fallen for a drug addict, my cousin's ex, and the man who I thought I'd hate for the rest of my existance. But, the part of me that loved Riley once was now dead. 

Mom finally spoke up. "Katherine," she sighed as I looked up at her. "It's going to be okay."

I managed to speak, even though my voice sounded weak, like I was going to break down crying again any second. "What if it's not?"

Before she could answer that, Mr Tozier stepped into view, his face tired. "Katherine, Colby wants you." He said before sitting down next to Blake, who was holding an ice pack to his head and had other arm around my cousin. I nodded slowly as Dad pulled his arm away from me. I stood up, wiping my eyes, which probably only screwed up the stupid make up even more. With shaky hands, I made my way to the room Colby was staying in. I didn't go in right away. I just stood in the doorway, taking in Colby.

With a weak smirk, Colby asked. "Checking me out?" 

Under any other circumstance, I would have rolled my eyes, but this time I only swallowed. "This is my fault." 

I watched as Colby scowled, shaking his head. "Nah. Don't blame yourself, Kat. I don't care about this anyway," he said as he motioned to the spots where he'd been injured were, though they were covered with a blanket. "You're okay. That's all that matters." He moved a little to the side, making more room on the bed. He patted the spot next to him. When I just stared at him, he rolled his eyes and said. "Come here."