chapter sixteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

"She's gotten a lot tougher... " Shawn told me. "You should be proud of her."

"That's what happens when someone tries to threaten everything you love." I tightened my grip, and we sat for a long time in silence.

"Are you afraid of the end?" Shawn asked. "Like, death?"

I stopped for a second, turning to face him.

"I think we're all a little scared of uncertainty." I told him.

"I'm not." Shawn bluntly confessed. "I think I'm just scared of loss. Of losing."

"You want to gain things, not lose?"

"Yeah, it's rough being one out of nine children. If you don't exceed expectations, they'll forget about you."

"You know, after you go to jail, you can start over, Shawn."

"Could we be friends?" He asked.

"If we started over, I'd like to."

Just then, we heard stomping. Shawn's shoulders began to tense up, and I helped him up. Camila had called the police, all right. Seven cop cars were stationed outside the banquet. If people didn't already know, they knew now that something was up.

We were met face to face with four cops. Two of them were armed, and our only form of protection at all was at the bottom of the lake.

"Don't." I warned them. "I'm fine. Please."

One man began to walk towards us, grabbing my arm. He clearly didn't want me interfering with this.

"Please!" I shouted.

The sound of a bullet rang through the trees. It was the youngest cop. I don't know why he fired. I guess he was just scared.

I turned to see the bullet and where it landed- right into Shawn's leg.

"No." I said, as he began to fall backwards. "No. No!"

But before I could grab his hand, I was too late. Shawn was speechless. He was barreling towards the water below him.

"No!" I screamed. "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO TAKE HIM BACK!"

I knelt down, but the water that I visited earlier today with a shade of blue turned black now. Shawn's body blended in with the water. I couldn't find him. I couldn't see him.

"GO GET HIM! FIND HIM!" I yelled, as the police officers ran off.

"Out of my way!" Camila ran upstairs to me. "I heard a gun. Where's Shawn?"

I couldn't say it. I don't know why, but I just couldn't begin to fathom the words. Sounds and noises were coming out, and yet not a single syllable.

"Oh. Oh my god. Shawn?" Camila walked over to the edge. "SHAWN?"

I tackled her to the ground angrily.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Y/N?" She yelled.

And that's when the tears came pouring out of my eyelids.

"Hey... Hey, baby... Y/N, I'm sorry... Darling, please talk to me... Please... Y/N, I'm begging you... Hey... Hey. I'm not mad, okay? I'm not mad. Now, tell me what's wrong."

I wiped my tears on her jacket.

"I can't lose you too, Camila."

Camila stroked my arm, encompassing me into her arms.

"Oh, honey, you were so scared. I shouldn't have done that. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry."

No one came to that rock for hours. Camila and I were left there to grieve.

After that night, we went home and after a week of wearing dark colors and not talking to anyone but each other, we finally decided to meet up with Shawn's parents. That was the only way to move on from this.

We pulled in to the restaurant, and I began to shiver. Not from the air conditioning, however. But from the thought that made me sick- telling his parents about his final moments, where he was the most vulnerable he's ever been.

"Hey, we're gonna be okay." Camila squeezed my hand as we walked into the restaurant.

Shawn's parents names' were Karen and Manuel. Karen had Shawn's hair, and Manuel has Shawn's eyes. The same eyes that asked me if I was scared of death.

The conversation transitioned quickly, actually becoming quite lighthearted. Manuel even asked if Camila and I were engaged, due to the fact we had matching rings. We quickly shook the rumor off, however, in order to talk about other matters at hand.

"Mr. and Mrs. Mendes, we would like to ask when Shawn's funeral will be." I inquired. "Our parents would like to attend as well."

The smiles on the parents' faces suddenly dropped into straight lines.

"Is there a problem?" Camila asked nervously.

"No, Camila. It's just that- well, I don't know if anyone told you this, but-" His father was interrupted by his mother's quiet, peaceful voice.

"They didn't find Shawn's body." She confessed.

Camila turned to me.

"Would you excuse us for a second?" Camila asked.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Mendes nodded, and Camila pulled me towards the restroom.

"We have to find him."

"You're kidding, right?"

"No, Y/N. We started this, and now we're going to end it. We have to find him."

"...Okay."

"OKAY?!" Camila yelled. "Just okay?"

"I'm not arguing with you on this. If we want to go live our lives normally again, maybe- maybe this is what we need to do."

"I just want to be happy with you and everything to be back to normal."

"That's all I ever wanted." I told her, wrapping her in a hug. "So, its settled. We're going to find Shawn Mendes."