Chapter 44 - "I distract you?"

After the week of promoting her album, Lennon left for her tour. While she was gone, she and Kade were in constant contact. Little things throughout Lennon's days would make her think of Kade and she would text him. More often then not, when she went to reach out, he had already contacted her. Their conversations flowed like an easy read novel, one topic seamlessly leading into the next.

At first, Lennon wasn't even aware of how much she relied on the back n forth with Kade. It felt so natural. But when he had a busy day in the studio and she didn't hear from him, she had crawled into bed that night feeling like something was missing. She realized it was Kade's absence that had her feeling off and that was a problem.

Somehow her feelings for Kade had shifted into something beyond friends and she hadn't realized it.

Liking Kade felt scary to Lennon for multiple reasons. Not only because of Hunter, but because there was a contract involved and it was almost up. It could mess up a situation that finally felt like it was on the right track. Lennon decided that for now, she would give herself time, hoping that her feelings would go away.

********************

"Happy birthday dear Lennon!"

Benny's face was turning slightly red from the effort he was putting into the song.

"Happy birthday to you!" Benny finished with a flourish.

"That was beautiful Benny!" Lennon said, beaming at her phone as she video chatted with her little brother.

"He worked on it all day yesterday," Lennon's dad said.

"I can tell," Lennon smiled.

"Look at this. I built it all myself," Benny said.

He shoved something at the camera. Lennon tried to see what he was showing her.

"What is it?" she asked.

"A Lego spaceship. Is Kade there? I want to show him."

Lennon chuckled. Benny had managed to mention Kade every time they had talked since Christmas.

"He isn't here."

"Where is he?" Benny said, peering intently into the phone.

"He's working."

"Can he play with me when he is done?" Benny asked.

"He's a little too far away for that bud. But if you send me a picture of your spaceship, I could show it to him."

"Ok" Benny said. "Daddy, will you take a picture of this and send it to Lennon so she can show Kade."

Benny disappeared from the screen, leaving Lennon with a slanted view of the kitchen.

"Well, I think that is all we are going to get out of him," her dad said, appearing on her screen.

"It was enough," Lennon said.

"Ok. How is the tour going?"

"Good. Its been a busy month and half, but I'm having fun."

"Thats great."

"Also, you'll appreciate this. Wes Keats asked me to open for his summer concert!"

"What?" her dad asked.

"I met him at a charity event last fall and when my album came out he contacted me. Isn't that crazy!"

"Len, thats wonderful. You've always loved his music. I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks."

Benny came back and  interrupted.

"I'm sorry Len, I gotta go," her dad apologized.