Chapter 8 - "So, how's Kade?"

It was early in the morning and the sunlight was just peaking over the horizon. The air was still and quiet and that was how Lennon liked Asheville to be. In the early hour, it felt like she had it all to herself.

It had been so long since she had been home, on these streets but they still looked the same. Turning down her old road she caught sight of the rose bushes, outside of her old house, her mother had planted the year before she got sick. It felt strange to have the house look the same when the life she had had when she lived there was gone. Losing her mother had changed everything.

"I'm at the yellow house" she told the driver, pointing to the two-story three houses down.

He pulled up and helped her with her bags and then he was gone and Lennon was left in the still of the morning, facing the house that held some of her most important memories. She could hear someone stirring inside and she walked up the front steps, dragging her suitcase behind her. She gave the screen door a gentle knock and a dark figure appeared behind the netting.

"I can't remember the last time Lennon Kayhill knocked before she stepped foot in my house. What has the world come to?" a booming deep southern voice said.

Lennon laughed and pulled the screen open. Deacon pulled her in for a bear hug before he grabbed her suitcase and brought it in.

"Now let me look at you," he said, slowly twirling Lennon around. She let out a small laugh and waited for the result of his appraisal.

"It's good to see fame hasn't gotten to you," he said with a smile.

Deacon had deep dimples in both his cheeks and curious dark eyes that looked like they knew something you wanted to.

"Come on, Charlotte and Beau are in the kitchen," he said, wrapping an arm around Lennon.

"It's good to be back," Lennon said, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Darling it's good to have you," he said.

Charlotte's kitchen hadn't changed a bit since the last time Lennon had been there. It smelled of rich coffee and waffles.

"Look who stumbled in," Deacon said loudly, presenting Lennon to Charlotte.

"Oh sweetie I'm so happy you made it. You must be exhausted. Do you want food first or sleep?" She asked.

She was standing at the stove, something crackling on the pan.

"Food," Lennon said, giving her a hug from behind and then hopping up to her usual spot on the counter.

"Do you need help?" she asked, as she watched Charlotte juggle bacon on the griddle and the waffle iron.

"No, no, no lovey. You stay right where you are. I got this and Deacon will set the table. I don't want you to lift a finger."

Lennon sat and let the familiarity of the kitchen and people relax her.

When they sat at the table, Beau, Charlotte and Deacon's floppy eared bloodhound, took up residence under the table on the hunt for scraps.

Lennon started to clear the dishes when the meal was over but Charlotte kicked her out of the kitchen. She slowly wandered back to the room that was the most familiar to her. She sank into the big cream couch and rested her head against the back.

It surprised her how familiar it felt even after being gone for years. She had watched countless movies sitting in the same spot she was in and spent so many hours in this room it felt like it was a part of her.

She curled her feet up and settled into the corner as she let her eyes drift over the pictures dotted throughout the room. Her body felt tired and she nestled into the couch. Her eyes started to feel heavy and the last thing she remember was someone draping a blanket over her before she fell asleep.