Let Me Help You

Ugh, back to reality I go, Hunter's back at school which leaves me stuck with my dad and the human Barbie dolls. I roll myself out of my bed trudging to my attached bathroom for a quick shower. If I don't do this early I'll miss the bus, I'd rather not deal with the uncomfortable silence of being in the car with Patience, or hearing the complaint of her friends. I already heard her complaining to her mom last night about how mad she saw that Dad told her she was giving me a ride to school. After I dried off and moisturizer my skin I lightly stepped to my closet to choose something to wear. After picking my outfit and getting dressed I grab my things as I make my way down stairs, and out the door. The bus stop for my school is about a block away, checking the time on my phone I see it's six thirty-nine. The bus doesn't get here til about seven thirty, so I'm real good on time.

"Little early for you to be out isn't it?"

No, not him, it's way too early for this. I turned my head hoping that it wouldn't be who I thought it was, but sure enough there he was sitting in front of his car with his too cool to care attitude just radiating off of him.

  I turned my head hoping that it wouldn't be who I thought it was, but sure enough there he was sitting in front of his car with his too cool to care attitude just radiating off of him

"If you must know, I'm headed to the bus stop." I'm literally ten steps away from my destination, and he's holding me up.

"Why would you take the bus, your school doesn't even start until 8. You're gonna be a whole hour early."

"Yeah, well I'll take that than the alternative option." I rolled my eyes.

"That option must have been riding with Patience and her squealing friends."

"You know it."

"Come on, I'm headed in that direction anyway. Catch a ride with me." I was already shaking my head at his suggestion. I can't be seen in his car, it'll cause so much unneeded drama between Clara, Patience, and I. I can already see my sister whining about me being in a car with him to her mother.

"Hey, put me down!" I protested as. Ethan carried me to his car. He had already put me in the seat, and strapped me in the seat belt.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I yelled.

"You took too long to make your mind up, and watch your mouth. There's a child in the car."

I turned my head to the backseat, and sure enough there was a sweet little curly brown headed child sitting in the back.

"Hi!" She smiled as she waved excitedly. I waved back before turning back to Ethan.

"I'm so sorry I didn't know she was back there." He nodded his head still driving us to where ever.

"S'cool, just try not to curse around her, I don't want her picking up any bad habits. My dad already thinks I'm a terrible influence on her, let's not add another person to that list."

"Melanie, this is Ethy's friend Melissa." She waved again this time smiling showing her few missing teeth.

"Melissa, this is my little sister Melanie." I turned back to wave at the cute little one behind me giving her a smile as well.

"I didn't know you had a sister."

"A lot of people don't, my parents and I keep her out of everybody's eye. She's my pride and joy though."

He peeked at her through the mirror sending her a tiny smile. After we dropped Melanie off Ethan offered to treat me to breakfast. I protested, or at least tried saying no, but he wasn't hearing it. We were already in one of the diners close to my school. Of course he chose a booth as our sitting area. For a small bit we both watched each other and ate quietly.

"I want to help you." Ethan finally said breaking the silence at our table.

"Help me with what?"

"You're so stuck in this box the Dawsons have you placed in that you're scared to escape it. I want to help you break out of it."

What is he talking about, my mom said the same thing. I'm not stuck in a box. I'm just very safe and cautious of what I do. I don't want to cause any more trouble than I already am, how does that make me stuck? I felt something hit my cheek. I looked down at the table to see a balled up straw wrapper laying in front of me. I already knew who the culprit was.

"What was that for?" I wanted to yell, but I didn't want to cause a scene in the diner.

"See that's your problem, you think too much. You sit there weighing out every outcome when you really shouldn't give a damn. Melissa you're seventeen, you've been around me since you were six and I was nine."

I forgot to mention that there's a three year age difference between us, but I don't think that it really matters.

"So, what's that got to do with anything?"

"It has everything to do with it, since you were six years old you've played it safe. Whatever the Dawson's said you could or couldn't do you obeyed like a meek little thing. I've watched you be this good little girl just because they tell you to. You're seventeen"

"You already said that." I cut him off.

"You'll be eighteen in a few months. Now is the time for you to do dumb things, make mistakes, get in trouble. You're young, those are things people expect you to do."

"I make mistakes, I do dumb things." I protested lamely.

"Oh really, name one thing." His face held a smirk.

"I got in the car with you, that was both dumb and a mistake." I stated matter-of-factly. He smirked again going into full out laughter.

"What's so funny?"

"You, you didn't get into my car on your own free will. I put you in my car Miss Smartass."

"See, you don't know how to be bold. You don't know how to take matters into your own hands and enjoy life. I'm gonna help you get out of this box whether you like it or not." He paid for our breakfast, I tried paying for myself, but he wouldn't let me.

I was dreading the stares I knew I was bound to get when Ethan pulled up to the school. He on the other hand was as calm as calm can be. Even though we weren't at my school yet I was already sweating bullets.

"You have to relax Melissa. Who gives a shit about me dropping you off, who gives a shit about you being in my car?"

How could he be so carefree about this, this was like social suicide for me. As soon as my sister sees me get out of this car she's going to make my life an even bigger hell than it already is. I must have spaced out because I saw that we were now at my school.

"Any day now Princess, the world is waiting on you." He smirked. Jesus give me strength.