49

Jeon was heaving in breaths as he shoved his way through the double doors. You flinched, furiously rubbing your eyes to try to appear normal. He didn't spare you a glance or speak. Gaze darting across his face as you tried to discern exactly what emotion he was working through your shoulders tensed, his expression gave away nothing.

Your first thought was to ask him what was wrong, but then his eyes were on you and whatever you had planned to say was swallowed back. There was a slight delay as he narrowed his eyes at your puffy face, but he subtly shook his head, gaze cutting to the door. Wordlessly, he stalked to the front door, calling for Captain Jeon to cut his chit-chat with the desk guard short. The captain had raised a brow at his younger brother's gruff voice, soft eyes looking to you but you only shrugged sadly. There was really nothing you could do about Jungkook's behavior. It seemed he was still ignoring you.

The two of you followed after him, a bit apprehensive of the way he paced around the cruiser, hands shoved deep in his jean pockets. Pausing every few seconds to check to see how close you and Captain Jeon were, Jungkook frequently sent over impatient looks. The keys to the car jingled as Captain Jeon pulled them out of his pocket and pressed down on the unlock button. Immediately, Jungkook was pulling open the shotgun door sliding into his seat and impatiently tapping his foot on the rubber foot mats. You blinked.

He was that upset with you?

You hadn't noticed that Captain Jeon had slid into the driver's seat and turned on the car until they were both looking at you; Jungkook with a flat stare and the captain with a curious look. For a while you just stared back, unsure of what to do. Jungkook was questioning why he was even with you, Yoongi was in jail (his threat looming over your head). All the people who had held you captive were gone. Weren't you technically free now? You could go home or anywhere you wanted. No one was holding you back, right?

You were free.

So why did you still feel trapped?

A footstep was taken towards the cruiser, your shoulders squaring as you moved towards it. Yoongi probably wouldn't be in prison forever. He'd get out and he'd be looking for you. Jungkook would finally decide what he felt for you and then he'd choose whether or not he wanted to pursue you any longer. But for now, he was unsure and he had no feelings towards you.

So you were free.

No one was holding you captive or pressuring you into making decisions. No one wanted to be around you or to hear what you had to say.

Jungkook's brows furrowed as you walked in front of the cruiser, the profile of your face void of any expression. He cautiously eyed you, waiting for you to turn and get into the seat behind the driver's side, but you kept walking.

And then you were running across the parking lot towards the city streets.

And he was scrambling to get out and go after you.

He wasn't sure why the sight of you running off had shocked him so much, but once you had taken off he was desperate to get out of the car. Captain Jeon had managed to get out before him, his hair flopping as he sprinted across the lot after you. Jungkook shouted curses, fingers fumbling with the seatbelt as he jabbed his thumb at the button until it clicked open. When his hands jerked at the car door it didn't budge. His first thought was to pull harder, but the door remained firmly shut. "Jeon, you piece of shit!" He screamed, angrily kicking at the door. When had the cop put a safety lock on this door?

Crawling across the seats, Jungkook opened the driver's door, falling out onto the asphalt. He was quick to get on his feet, taking off where he had seen you and Captain Jeon go. You were running away from him again and his immediate reaction was to go after you.