Chapter 17 - Tranquility

Two instructors busily started packing away the leftover food after our supper meal. It was chilly out, and I instantly regretted wearing just tights and a T-shirt.

"Wanna go for a walk?" Jack asked, tucking his hands into his hoodie pockets shyly.

I smiled warmly at him. "Of course."

I watched as Charlie, Macy and Bailey went back to our dorm, and Kara reluctantly going over to hers. I held onto Jack's upper arm as we walked; his biceps not as prominent under the thick jacket.

We strolled in silence for a little while until I looked around and saw we had entered the trees I so loved. It was beautiful and always smelt fresh and cleansing. The tranquility here was really quite something.

"Hey Jack?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" He inquired but kept his gaze straight ahead.

"Can I hold your hand?" I asked all innocent. I knew it was okay, I mean we were dating. I just wanted to tease him a little.

And it worked - a grin crept onto his face as he nodded his head vigorously. I bit my tongue to hold a laugh and our fingers met each other, lacing together. His palm felt warm in mine, and I gave his hand a light squeeze before leaning more into his side. I looked up at Jack to see he was blushing and smiling, too. Gosh, he was adorable. Flawless.

The sound of water soon filled my ears and I realised the river was near. When we finally reached it and it was in sight, Jack lead me to sit.

"I would push you in if it wasn't so cold," Jack stated in all seriousness.

I snorted and said, "Wow, how romantic of you," with an exaggerated roll of my eyes and I punched his arm playfully.

It went quiet again, with only the sound of rushing water surrounding us.

"This has been the best time of my life."

My words seemed to echo all around us; ringing in my ears, joining the water and waving though the trees, rustling every leaf and hitting every dark and minute corner.

I looked at Jack. He dropped his head in his hands, a sweet smile playing at his lips.

It was still for yet another moment. "Jack? Are you going to say something?" I asked, lowering my head to try and meet his eyes.

All he proceeded to do was shake his head like a little child and then looked me in the eyes for one swift moment; his gleaming in the starry night. Jack then leaned towards me, cupped my cheek with one hand and kissed me. It was light and soft; gentle as his kisses usually were. I mentally captured this moment - how it looked, how it smelt, how it sounded and most importantly how it felt.

He pulled me in closer, and I embraced the smell that radiated off of him. Vanilla.

Slowly he pulled away, ending the kiss and I didn't give him any time to get back to his normal sitting position because, in that same second, I launched myself at him, enveloping him in a huge and tight hug which he accepted; his arms wrapped securely around my waist. We were so close that I could almost feel his heart beat, steady in his chest.

And before we broke apart, I could have sworn I heard Jack murmur quietly into the crook of my neck,

"I never want to leave."

_______________________________________
A/N

Hello lovely readers! I hope you enjoyed the back to back updates! Sorry it took a little while, I've been busy with exams and haven't had too much time or inspiration to write. But here it is!

This book is also nearing it's end :( I'm thinking... An epilogue? Or a whole sequel? Tell me in the comments what you think should become of this in the end.

Thanks for all the support! Much love!

xoxo, Megs