Chapter Twenty Nine

She stared at the numbers in front of her and frowned. She didn't understand how Liam missed this, she fumbled around the desk she was sitting at for a highlighter and put a line through what she wanted Liam to see.

She didn't come into the office to go over what Liam had sprawled out over his desk; she had originally gone in there to get the gift that Rowen had made him buy for one of her guards' wife. The woman had just given birth and Rowen wasn't going to let that go past without giving her something.

She had grown to like her guards. They constantly reminded her that they weren't friends, but they worked for her. She agreed with them, but she never believed them. She treated them as if they were her friends and she had noticed when they stopped calling her Ma'am and started calling her Rowen.

Liam had tried to talk to her about it, saying some nonsense about it not being professional. But she had gotten him to come to a compromise. When they were in the apartment, she was Rowen. When they were out, she was Ma'am. Liam was hesitant, but she stared him down until he sighed and agreed. He knew he wouldn't win if he wanted to fight her on it.

The papers in front of her looked creased, as if Liam had been picking them up and putting them down, not knowing what he was looking for. It was obvious to Rowen, this was her line of work, and numbers were her thing. She ran the highlighter over a few more things that caught her eye. She could see why Liam didn't spot it, they weren't glaringly obvious.

Someone cleared their throat making her head snap up. Rowen winced when she saw Liam leaning against the doorframe with his head tilted and his arms folded.

"I can explain." she held her hands up, quickly looking at the yellow highlighter in her hand before dropping it on the desk.

Liam took a step into the room. "Please. Do."

Rowen bit her lip. She didn't know if he was pissed, or trying to make fun of her. She knew she needed to tell him what she found, but she looked like a snoop; she was only supposed to get the present. It wasn't like it was hard to spot in the bright orange paper that Rowen had chosen.

"Liam." she swallowed hard. "I found the things you were missing."

He paused and raised a brow. "And how do you know I was missing anything?"

He sounded pissed off now, Rowen took a chance. Taking a deep breath, she showed him just how observant she could really be.

"The paper was creased, like you'd been picking it up all the time. You'd obviously been looking over your father's bank accounts trying to find something that will pin down his location or his plan, since Bennett told you their no longer at the mine and your father has gone MIA." she took a breath. "The money trail is small, not something that many would notice. But it's there."

Rowen pushed the paper forward, the yellow highlighter standing out brighter somehow. Liam took a step forward, his long fingers touching the bottom of the page. He tipped his head and hummed.

"I know what this looks like, but I swear I wasn't snooping around your desk. I saw the numbers, and I saw straight away that something was off with these transactions." she explained. "It's my job to see this stuff Liam."

He didn't look at her, it made her nervous. She started twisting her fingers on the bottom of the plum coloured sweater she was wearing, moving from foot to foot waiting for him to say something. When he looked at her, his lips pulled into a smirk. Normally she would have sighed and relaxed, but normally she wouldn't have been caught going over his paperwork like it was her right to.

Yes he kept her informed now, but that still didn't mean that she had any rights in his world. The other Don's knew about her, she had met them, given them the speech about how they were going to take down Enzo, and they accepted that she would be involved. But Liam wasn't her husband.