Chapter Twenty Five

Rowen wanted to laugh, she was struggling not to actually. Liam was cowering against the hospital window as an older woman was railing on him in Italian. She had called him everything that she could think of, and some of those things were rather imaginative. Rowen had to bite her lip when the woman started to smack him across the side of the head for his 'stupidness'.

Rowen had a general idea who the woman was, there really couldn't be any explanation other than she was Liam's mother. There was no way he would let anyone else go off at him like that without defending himself. He even started to apologise for something when he had no idea what he had done wrong.

Carlos was sniggering in the corner, a small dark haired woman who had eyes like Liam's was giggling along with him, hiding her mouth behind her hand. It was easy to guess that she was Liam's sister. And Rowen had seen Carlos somewhere before, though she had just met him a few minutes ago.

Rowen coughed to hide her laugh.

Her night was confusing and relieving at the same time. She had been so heartbroken at the thought of losing Liam that she hadn't listened to him properly while she was leaving a rather attractive mess of snot and tears on his dark blue shirt.

He had told her he loved her.

And he meant it.

-***-***-***-***-

She couldn't believe what he was saying. How could he love her? He had been so disgusted with her, she had seen it in his eyes, yet here he was saying that he loved her. And he just kept repeating it. Over and over again, like a prayer.

She didn't know what to believe, her memory of his face or his words.

"But how?"

Liam pulled back slowly, raising his hands he placed them on her shoulders and looked into her eyes. Rowen didn't need to look into his bright blue eyes to know when Liam was lying to her or not. She could just always tell. She had never questioned it before, never thought to look at why she could tell if he was lying, why she believed him so easily when before she would have questioned. Most of all, she never questioned why she trusted him so whole heartedly.

"It was wrong of me to leave you, I know that now." he shook his head at himself. "I had wanted to calm down, so I didn't frighten you. I was so angry. Not at you, at myself... at my father. I thought I was making the right decision to leave the hospital for a while, calm down... When I came back, seeing the guard at the door made me think that maybe my father had come for you, that someone had scared you... hurt you again... I saw red," he paused. "No, I saw fear, I was so scared that i'd lost you again."

Rowen's heart was racing in her chest. She should have known better. She should have known that Liam wasn't disgusted in her but in what had been done to her. He didn't want to scare her, he was putting her first.

Rowen put her hand on top on his, pulling it from her shoulder she held it in her lap. She was about to speak when he raised a finger to her broken lips.

"Let me finish?" she nodded. "Thank you."

Liam took a deep breath. Rowen could see that whatever it was he was about to say was going to be bad, she could see the pain in his eyes before he even spoke the words. Once again she was reading him, seeing the real him beyond the facade that he put on. She hadn't questioned this before, when she had no idea what she was feeling. Now she knew, and she knew he felt the same way for her.

She loved him.

"When you were taken, my father sent me a picture from your phone." Rowen gasped. Liam closed his eyes, tears welling in her eyes made them sting. "I was so angry I trashed the penthouse... I... I recieved a picture every hour."