Chapter Fifteen

APOLOGIES FOR THE LONG WAIT. I LOST MY MOJO... IF I HAD IT TO BEGIN WITH.

~!!~!!~

Rowen sat fiddling with her phone as she tried not to listen to Liam's conversation. He was pacing his balcony, his phone to his ear, yelling in Italian. He had excused himself once his phone had started ringing, saying it was business and he couldn't ignore it. Rowen hadn't objected, she lifted her head from his lap and sat up smiling telling him to go and take the call.

He had walked outside, giving her the impression that he didn't want her to hear what was going on. She didn't let herself get carried away with the bitter thoughts again, she understood that there were things that he couldn't tell her yet, and the more that he kept telling her that he couldn't  and not wouldn't tell her, the more she kept thinking he was in the Mafia. 

When Rowen had spoken to Liam about her family, she hadn't told him the whole truth. Yes she was mostly Italian. She hadn't lied about that, but what she didn't tell him was that her father was a debt collector for a crime boss. Her father made sure debts were paid and if they weren't their asses got kicked.

It was the reason her parents were divorced, her mother had hoped that she could tame the bad-boy but instead she got her heart broken when he wouldn't give up his lifestyle or his other women for her. Rowen had a half brother and sister by her father and his mistress. Her mother only gave him one child, Rowen was her father's youngest daughter.

She hadn't heard anything from her father since they split, other than one drunken phone call telling her to stay away from men in the Mafia. 

What a shame she didn't listen to her father...

Out of everything that she had thought of after her visit with the police, the Mafia was something that she had laughed at, thinking that she couldn't possibly be right. But the more she listened to Liam, the more she started to think that she was right.

Liam was in the Mafia.

Rowen thought about going into the bedroom, sitting in the comfy chairs and find something to do on her phone. But her body seemed stuck to the chair. Maybe it was because she realised that she was in the home of a Mafia man that had her stuck. He had told her he wasn't always a good man. But he hadn't shown her that he would be anything but a good man with her.

Rowen had tried to tell herself she wasn't moving because she was comfortable, after all, she could always pretend that she was so caught up on what she was doing with her phone that she didn't hear anything that Liam was shouting in Italian out on the balcony.

 Rowen hated that she was so nosy. She always had been, her mother had told her it was something that she had inherited from her father. Rowen didn't see how being able to snoop though peoples things and put them back perfectly, was something that she should be proud of. Her mother had said that she was her father's daughter more than once. But her mother was always bitter that her father never left his mistress for her.

Rowen had once made the mistake of asking her mother if she was the mistress and not the other woman. Her mother wasn't happy and even though they had lived together at the time, her mother hadn't spoken to her for two months.

Even if it was something that she had gotten from her father, Rowen didn't think it was right being nosy with Liam.

Liam's pacing was turning into stalking, like a wolf pacing back and forth before deciding to strike. He was getting angrier by the second, his free hand was clenched into a fist so tightly that his knuckles were white. Rowen was surprised that he hadn't cut up his palm with his nails.