Chapter.84.Obliviousness to Innocence.<3

1 month later.

After that night at the beach, things have gotten easier.

The letter I wrote to Lucas, I'm sure is the cause. Smackle delivered the letter because everyone else agreed no contact was best, but once she read the letter she was more than willing. It was what was best for both of us, if we were going to be apart than we needed to try and be as happy as we can be. From that day on, I was told he was eating for sure twice a day so despite my churning stomach, I did too. It started off pretty plain since I didn't think my stomach could handle too much all at once and now, by week 4 I'm back to my normal eating habits.

Like Lucas, I carve out time in the gym but not to the extent I once was. I don't go for hours on end when I didn't have anything else to do. But I digress, after 2 weeks of good updates I decided to cut myself off. Not because I didn't want to know, but because whenever we are back together I want him to tell me.

Since it is Spring Break and I didn't plan anything with my friends since I was supposed to be in Paris, Ryder and I are loners. Everyone else had rented a beach house and since I didn't want to be a 7th wheel and I had my non-profit I decided to stay here despite the invites. "Kitten." Glancing to my left, he stares at me amusingly, "that Ziploc bag is pretty interesting isn't it."

Scoffing at his sarcasm, I throw a paper ball at him. "We have to make rounds today. Pick up everything in the drop boxes."

He nods, rising off the floor and holding out a hand to help me up as well. "The replacement boxes are already in my car kitten, come on." As we pass Auggie's door, he bangs on it a few times before barging in like he owns the place. "Hey bro, you wanna come do our pick-ups?"

Auggie has been pretty busy with his girlfriend, Ava Morgan Sturn. She's just a peach, if you are wondering if that is sarcasm, then the answer is yes. She's sassy and incredibly pushy, "No. Ava is coming over and I have to walk to the store to get cheese." Oh, and she likes cheese, a lot.

"Alright, have fun." After warning him to be careful we say goodbye to my parents and saunter towards his car, "I'm glad you're back." Flashing him a beaming smile, he pecks my forehead and opens the passenger door for me. "Scared me for a while." My smile falls, because I scared myself too. I let myself go, if it weren't for my incredible friends and family I may still be knee deep in my own sadness.

I place my hand on top of his before turning the key in the ignition, his steely grey eyes flicker towards me with his brows furrowed. "I just – I never told you thank you. I mean, I said it but it was so monotonous and not heartfelt." His curious gaze softens with my words, "So thank you for always being there for me and not giving up on me despite how stubborn I was in being stuck in my sadness."

Again, he pecks my forehead and drives off, for a few minutes I was waiting for him to say something but he doesn't. I just brush it off and watch as he drives towards his uncle's – soon to be his – company. I'm about to get out when his hand stops me, "Riley you weren't stubborn in your sadness." He used my name... that's odd, it sounds so foreign coming out of his mouth. "You were hurt and sad, there's nothing wrong with that. But because you're well, you, you dusted yourself off and got back up on the horse. I knew it would happen, I knew you'd see the light it just took some time and friendly persuasion." I giggle but agree with him, "As long as I'm around you won't be alone. Well you won't ever be alone whether I'm here or not, your friends – our friends," he corrects, "We all love you and fiercely so. Never will you have to say 'thank you' because that's what we're here for."

Latching my arms around his neck, I hug him tightly and hold him in my embrace for a few passing moments. There is a saying that I've heard several times in my life, you'll know who your true friends are in the times that aren't always sunshine and daisies. Obviously, I'm paraphrasing but, I have true friends.