Chapter 20: A Night to Remember

~Shakira’s POV~

“Wow...” was all she could say as Adam led her through the elegant glass doors into the dining room of the most expensive restaurant she had ever been in. Everything was glass and gold, all surfaces laiden with intricate glittering designs. Now she knew why Adam had gotten that dress.

“I think I might have made a small mistake picking out that dress. You’re getting quite the attention.” Shakira realized the truth in Adam’s lightly teasing words and blushed deeply, looking down at her feet. He chuckled and tightened his arm around her waist.

They were shown to their table, decorated with white candles and little gold charms hanging from the candle holders. A few moments later they ordered their food, then sat back to enjoy the piano player and the female singer in the middle of the room. Shakira didn’t know what they were singing, but they sounded very beautiful together. As they waited for their food several people approached Adam to say hello and ask how he was doing, always taking a moment to compliment Shakira and making some sort of comment about their relationship hitting the news in less than a week. Thankfully, no one inquired of Gerard, and she didn’t bring it up. But she knew. With every questioning look, there was going to be another headline in the morning.

“Hey, you alright?” Adam’s gentle voice brought her back, and she smiled warmly at him. He looked absolutely stunning in his tux. She glanced at his tie and resisted grinning. He had tried so hard to get it on. Eventually, after a lot of cursing, he gave up and let Shakira do it, who was able to do it in two minutes. She looked back up at his eyes and was able to breathe a little easier.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” They shared small talk for a few more minutes about The Voice and their contestants and who they think had the best people. The food came out and they ate, Shakira realizing she never had such a delicious meal before. And the wine was by far the best she had ever tasted. At the same time that they had finished their food, the two singers were finishing up.

“How about some good music?” Shakira looked up into Adam’s eyes, instantly seeing the excitement in them. He looked so damn cute, she couldn’t think of any reason that she would say no. Not that she wanted to; she loved his voice.

“Oh? That wasn’t good enough for you?” She teased him, anticipation starting in her stomach. She grinned as he gracefully stood up and walked over the overseer of their banquet room. After a few hushed words and a large smile from the burly man, Adam winked to Shakira as he walked to the middle of the room. Her stomach was turning excitedly as he sat down at the piano and played the first notes.

All at once, the room seemed to quiet down ten notches and all attention turned to Adam. Shakira forgot how to breathe. Or think. She couldn’t see anything but him, feeling his voice hum through her body like never before.

“Every time our eyes meet

This feeling inside me

Is almost more than I can take

Baby when you touch me

I can feel how much you love me

And it just blows me away

I've never been this close to anyone or anything

I can hear your thoughts

I can see your dreams...”

Shakira realized she was fighting tears, and she had her hand covering her mouth. She had never been sung to before, especially in a public place such as this. But more so, no one had ever gone through so much effort to express their feelings for her. She didn’t know what to do. When he continued singing and somewhere else in the room picked up the backtrack, he stopped playing the piano and made his way over to her, still singing perfectly. All eyes followed him as he slowly made his way over, eyes never wavering from her face.