Chapter 16: Healing and Pain

~Shakira’s POV~

“Shakira? You here?”

At the sound of Adam’s voice, Shakira shot up off the kitchen stool and ran through the living room and around the corner to the main entrance. She collided with Adam, who wrapped his arms around her and held her for a while. It was the best hug she had ever had and felt lost when he finally let go.

“Where’s Milan? Is he alright?”

Shakira smiled at Adam’s concern. “He’s fine. He’s sleeping in one of the beds down that hall.” Her smiled faded as she asked the dreaded questions. “Are you alright? What happened after I left?” She paused, and Adam patiently waited for her to ask the question he knew she wanted the answer to most. “Where’s Gerard?”

Adam looked at her a moment, as if debating whether he should tell her the truth or not. “I am fine. After you left, he stopped struggling and Mariane left.”

Shakira looked expectantly at him; she knew there was more to be told.

“He said some untrue things, and I got a little...offended. And so when he broke out of Usher and Blake’s hands and got in my face screaming, I ...punched him.” She could tell he tried not flinching when he admitted the last part. It didn’t work.

She stood there a moment, then surprised herself when a giggle came out of her mouth. And then full blown laughter. Adam stood there, looking at her like she was crazy.

“Wow, I really wish I was there to see that one. I don’t even feel bad for him. Thank you, Adam.” He looked relieved, and she knew he had been worrying for a while about her expected reaction to the news.

“Well, now that that’s settled, you up for some food? I’m starving. I didn’t get to eat today because...yeah not going there right now.” 

“Oh? Alright then. And yeah, I’m hungry too.” She was curious, but didn't press the matter. When he wanted, he could tell her.

They went into the kitchen and together they made homemade macaroni and cheese. They were both covered in cheese and crying with laughter by the time it was done an hour and a half later.

Adam took the glass pan out of the oven and set it down on the island. Shakira hopped up on the stool on the other side and looked at it. Her stomach growled impatiently.

She watched as he took a forkful from the top and smiled as he held it across to her. Slowly she leaned her head forward and took the mouthful off the fork. He watched her closely as she chewed and swallowed, amazed at how delicious it tasted. She licked her lips and smiled.

“So?”

“Absolutely perfect.”

“Really?”

Getting down off the stool and walking around to Adam’s side of the island, she looked up at him and said, “Really.”

He wrapped one arm around her waist and pulled her against him, planting a gentle kiss on her lips.

She melted into his touch, placing her head on his chest when they broke apart. He put the fork down and put his other arm around her. She circled her own around his warm body. She loved being in his embrace.

There is no where I would rather be.

“I should probably have said this earlier.” His voice vibrated his chest and she snuggled into it, the food forgotten.

“I love you, Shakira.” She felt her heart skip a beat and a flutter in her stomach. She looked up at him, a warm smile on her face. “I love you too.”