Chapter 3: Invisible Competition

~Adam's POV~

Adam sat down in his chair that night and felt truly electrified, a feeling he hadn't remembered existed. He watched as Shakira danced her way onto the stage, blowing kisses and waving. She had on a light grey sequined blouse with black shiny leggings and silver sandals. Her long silver and diamond earrings caught the light every which way she turned and her necklace of pearls danced on her chest as she bounced around. She looks like a rock goddess, thought Adam admiringly.

She hugged Blake and Usher, then ambled over to Adam, a lazy smile on her face. His stomach dropped and his head went fuzzy as she came near.

"Hey stargazer." She smiled mischievously at him. He laughed as he remembered the morning hours and stood up to hug her. She felt so warm, so soft, and smelled so damn good. He resisted closing his eyes and resting his head on hers as he painfully let go and sat back down, his dream from the night before dancing before eyes. She made one final spin and sat down, smiling again at Adam.

Was she being a little flirtatious, or was that his mind? Adam couldn't decide.

After Carson's introduction, the room fell silent and the four chairs turned around. Adam looked at all people and wondered, Do any of them know? Would any of them have suspected anything? While he waited for the contestant to start, he thought about seventeen hours previous, the quiet morning air filled with the glorious presence of Shakira. They had parted ways at his trailer, and he had merely waved goodnight. Sitting in the chair, he wished he had at least given her a hug. Then again, he thought, that might have been a bad idea. He wasn't quite in complete control of his emotions then.

The contestant started singing. Adam sat for a moment and listened. The girl was singing A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton, and sounded beautiful. She hit a high note perfectly and Adam slammed on his button, Shakira and Blake following suit. She was a petite blonde, in her late twenties or early thirties. She sounded experienced, and Adam was determined to have her. When she finished, he stood up, hoping to catch her attention. Unfortunately, so did the other two. Adam turned to his left, leaned forward, and yelled "Sit down!" at Blake. Blake just stuck his tongue out at him and turned back towards the stage. Laughing, the three sat down again.

Usher spoke up first. "What's your name sweetheart?"

"Arianna."

Adam jumped in before Blake or Shakira could steal her. He may be in the middle of a romantic crisis, but he was damned if that was going to get in his way of possibly winning the season. "Wow. That was super amazing. You sounded so beautiful I wanted to melt. If I had you on my team, I could help you work with that outstanding voice to make it all the way to top. If you wanna win, I'm the way to go." He was nervous to hear what Shakira had to say; she had a way with words.

"Arianna, I think that your voice is unique. It's clear, and doesn't waver on high notes. It's strong, and strength is what will help you win. I could help you do that. You just gotta pick me." Damn. Adam was pretty sure she just claimed that one, too.

Blake looked at Adam and Shakira. "Is it finally my turn?" Adam nodded enthusiastically, and Shakira said, "No, I think it's time for her to choose." She laughed, tossing her head back. She waved her hand dismissively in Blake's direction, his face mocking surprise. "Fine, fine, I guess you can go." Adam just sat there chuckling.

"Thanks. Lots." He meant it sarcastically, and you could tell from his face that he was kidding, but Adam had caught something else in his eye, and it confused him. Was that resentment? Anger? In Blake?? He dismissed it as the light and turned back towards the girl, listening to what Blake was saying to convince her.