Chapter 2: Starry Night

~Shakira’s POV~

She walked a ways behind him for a bit; she couldn’t help it. His sweatpants made his butt look great. He bounced lightly as he walked, quietly singing one of his songs with his headphones in. He sounded so smooth, so peaceful, Shakira almost turned around and went back to her trailer, but decided against it.

Slowly, silently, she slid up to his side. For a minute, he continued walking, singing with his eyes closed and head bobbing to the music. After a minute, he opened his eyes and cursed, stopping his stroll. Shakira couldn’t help but giggle, his curses were so cute. Mentally shaking herself, she realized she should say something.

“Hey, I saw you walking, and I couldn’t sleep, so I thought I might join you. Is that okay?” She desperately hoped it was. After all, you are the reason I can't sleep.

Adam looked a little stunned at first, but managed to regain his composure and and stutter, “Uh, um, yeah, sure.” He took his headphones out and put them in his hoody. Together, they walked through the field.

Shakira stopped walking and Adam turned around to see why. She was staring up at the sky like a little kid, her amusement at so many visible stars was evident in her sparkling eyes. Without looking down, she said,

“They’re so beautiful. I’ve never seen so many.” How did I not know this existed? Where have I been?

“Look,” Adam came and stood next to her, pointing at the sky. “That is the big dipper, the one that looks like a pan. Not sure where it got that name. And that one is Orion, you can see his belt. There’s thousands more, but I’m not quite experienced in the astrology field.”

Shakira laughed and sighed happily. She never felt so free in her life, so weightless as she did at that moment. Throwing caution to the wind, she looked backed down at Adam. His eyes looked electrified, and she was mesmerized for a moment before she managed the strength to look away, into the distance at all the lights of the city. What am I doing? The tingly feeling in her body was so bad she felt like her whole being was humming. She thought she was going to explode.

Adam stepped up next to her, their arms touching through their sweaters. “Interesting world, isn’t it?”

~Adam ‘s POV~

She looked like a goddess, standing in that field staring up at the stars. They didn’t hold a candle to the blonde 5’3’’ beauty that stood a foot from him at that moment. She suddenly looked directly at him, and, after finally composing himself enough to talk, he nearly lost it again when their eyes connected. She looked down and the other way almost right away. Does she have feelings for me? Was I imagining that look?

Suddenly unable to stand the distance, he stepped up beside her, watching her wondrous gaze at the city from the corner of his eye. Without thinking, he spoke.

"Interesting world, isn't it?" He paused, then decided to keep going. He feared if the conversation ended, she would disappear and so would the perfect moment. "With all the lights and cameras you begin to forget how beautiful nature is. Until a night like this comes around and you realize how much you've been missing."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were an environmentalist." She laughed and added, "But that was beautiful. Combine that with your looks and you might get a whole nation to go green for you." She raised her eyebrows and looked back out at the city.

Adam knew she was playing with him, but something clicked and he knew the answer then and there. She felt the same. He didn't know how, he just did. Suddenly, the few inches between them felt like miles and he struggled against his body's will to close the gap.

Both falling silent, they enjoyed each other's company, even if there was no words spoken between them. After all, thought Adam, she is the reason I can't sleep. What better way to fix that than spend time with her?

~Shakira's POV~

As they stood there silently, watching the bustling city from afar, Shakira became aware of a magnetism that was unconsciously pulling her body towards Adam. She fought it, focusing on the bright action sprawling out in front of her. She didn't want to end this perfect dream, but was unsure of how much longer she would be able to stand his presence.

She had never longed to touch someone so much before. It killed her inside, knowing she was committed to someone else but so undeniably attracted to Adam. She was still uncertain if Adam actually had any feelings for her, but assumed he had to have some. She knew by then the heated look in his eyes earlier was directed towards her. Question was, should she act on it, or pretend it didn't exist?

~Blake's POV~

Blake stood a hundred feet away, leaning against the corner of the building, watching Shakira and Adam stand in the field. His heart felt heavy and his stomach turned uneasily. He knew his jealousy was wrong; she didn't know, and neither did Adam. He looked at the two longingly. Why can't that be me? Why couldn't I be in Shakira's place?