Chapter 9: And the Battles Begin

~Blake’s POV~

Lights, camera, sing.

Blake  plopped down in his chair, a smile spread wide across his face. He watched intently as Adam skipped, literally skipped, onto stage, with a smile just as big. However, Blake sensed it wasn’t as real. And that concerned him.

Shakira followed, grinning at the crowd, waving her hands high. The people sitting in the mass of seats behind them were not going to be able to see it, and he knew that the cameras were going to make sure they didn’t catch it, but the faint red rimming her eyes told him all he needed to know.

Something had happened between the two. The combination of Adam’s forced smile and Shakira’s eyes confirmed Blake’s suspicions that there was something going on between the them. He had originally dismissed it because of the fact that Shakira had a child, but now, feeling the sexual tension practically screaming its presence on that side of the panel, he knew better. And it angered him to no end.

His smile threatened to waver so he switched his attention from the issue to the show. It was the first night of battle rounds. He was going to lose two members of his team, Usher was going to lose one, Shakira also one, and Adam two. He was glad with his pairings for the night. He made it so the decisions wouldn’t be too hard, but not obviously easy.

The show began and Carson came out, introducing the show and reviewing the battle rounds procedure. The audience got an overview of the first two, Adam’s first battle. After a few minutes of talking at the end of the clip, Carson stepped off stage and the lights dimmed slightly. The coaches sat waiting as the contestants came out. It was almost an awkward silence, and Blake was damned if any of the people near the panel didn’t feel it.

The contestants came out and Carson introduced them one by one, Elizabeth and Carrie. When they took their spots on the stage, the lights went down and it got quiet, waiting for Carson's beginning statement.

"Let the battle begin."

Instantly, the melody to Lee Ann Womack's 'I Hope You Dance' began playing. Blake got into it quickly, being a fan of the artist and song, finally able to push the current issue to the back of his mind. He noticed one girl, Elizabeth, had a stronger voice than Carrie, but Carrie held her long notes better. He knew Adam had paired the two to end up with Carrie, and made a mental note to tell him of his lack of discretion in pairing.

The song finally ended and Carson joined the girls in the middle of the stage. 

"Adam, I'll give you a moment to think. Shakira. What do you say and who would you pick?"

Hesitating, she said, "I like how strong and experienced your voice is Elizabeth, and how you extend and accentuate your notes Carrie. I would have to go with Carrie."

 "Usher?"

"I have to agree with Shakira about your voice Elizabeth. It holds potential. Carrie, your voice is softer and it seemed to me a little wavering at points. I would have to go with Elizabeth."

"Thank you Usher. Blake?"

Blake snuck a look at Adam, who seemed calm and cool. He looked back towards the front then shrugged. "I really liked them both. They both had unique characteristics that made their voices blend extremely well. I don't know who I would pick."

"Thanks Blake. That wasn't very helpful!" Adam exclaimed. "I...oh god, I hate this. This sucks. I love the strength that you have Elizabeth. Carrie, the way you twist the notes makes it your own and special. The winner of this battle is...Carrie."

The girl went crazy on stage, then turned and gave the other one a hug. Elizabeth said a few words then left, crying. Carrie stayed, thanking the judges again, giving Adam a hug, then leaving.