Chapter 10: Blondie's Night Out

~Shakira's POV~

Downing her third shot, Shakira studied the people around her. No one paid her any attention, for which she was grateful. She waved the bartender over and ordered a fourth. He contemplated her request for a minute, then started as if he was going to reject it. However, he didn't get the chance.

"I don't-"

"It's alright. I'm watching her."

Spinning around, Shakira nearly fell off her chair, but was saved by Blake's strong arms catching her. 

"Easy Blondie. I take it you haven't stood up since you first sat down." He chuckled softly as she got readjusted on the stool, her cheeks turning bright red in embarrassment. 

She didn't like being intoxicated; she always like to keep her head on straight and aware of her surroundings. However, the strain of the first night of knockouts combined with the energy-draining tension had her walking around aimlessly through Los Angeles. Eventually, she ended up here, at Michaelangelo's Night Club.  

She knew she shouldn't be drinking. But her boyfriend was back in Columbia for another soccer match, and her head was pounding. She needed release. She wasn't expecting Blake to show up, but also didn't realize how much she had already drank. She was sort of glad he was there. He was always such a comfort, always had the right words to say to make someone feel better. And she knew he wouldn't judge. Adam had probably already told him what happened and he was most likely here to keep an eye on her to make sure she didn't do anything stupid or drink herself into oblivion. She had to admit, it sounded quite appealing right then. 

"You're a hard girl to track down. You know that? I had to go at least a dozen other bars to finally find you. Why couldn't you just choose one a bit closer to the heart of the city. It would've made the past hour a hell of alot easier. Ah well, I found you. You can go ahead and continue your pursuit of drunken bliss now. But I should forewarn you, the consequences quite often have something to do with a meeting with a toilet the next day. Just saying." 

Laughing, she leaned over and gave him a hug, happy with his presence.  He continued on a more serious note, after letting go of her and making sure she sat back up okay. 

"You might already know this, but doing this isn't going to help you much. Actually, not at all. It's only pushing off the emotions you are trying to avoid. And let me tell you, it won't work."

Shakira sat, sipping her fifth drink she got after she finished her last shot, absorbing Blake's wise words. She was trying desperately to get her mind off of Adam. But she knew he was right; there was no way getting wasted was going to solve their predicament. At the moment, though, she wanted a break from reality. And now that Blake was there, clearly to make sure she was going to be okay no matter what, she decided she was going to get her break. And have fun. And relax. 

Smiling challengingly at Blake, she said, "Got time for a game of pool?"

He responded with a smile. "Now this I've gotta see. You, play pool? That's a shock in itself.  You, drinking? Also a shock. You, playing pool, with alcohol in your system? Now that's a doozy." Playfully slapping his arm, she turned and hopped off the seat, holding onto the bar for a minute to gain her balance. She started giggling, and Blake shook his head, still smiling.  

~Blake's POV~

"You sure you're up for this?" He didn't have time for an answer. She was already making her way around tables, nimbly swaying her hips to avoid obstacles, her balance regained. Damn, he thought. She can even appeal to a guy when she's half drunk.