Chapter 14: Trapped

~Adam’s POV~

“Adam? Hello? Earth to spaceboy.” Adam snapped out of his reverie and focused on his friend. His mind had been in a fog due to what happened an hour previous. He still couldn’t process what the godly blonde had said to him. What she had admitted. It just didn’t seem possible.

“Sorry, what’s up?” He looked up at Blake, who was standing in front of Adam’s red chair with his hands on his mini table. Adam felt like it had been years since he had talked to Blake, and he felt a little guilty for not doing so. “I’m just thinking. Did you say something?”

Blake gave him a suspicious look, but smiled and shook his head, looking out into the crowd for a moment before back at Adam. It was their first commercial break of the night and the audience was already rowdy as hell. 

“Your presence was notably missing when Shakira was in the middle of a fit. And the whole time she didn’t leave her room. Where were you this morning?”

Adam smiled, still distracted by his earlier escapade, and contemplated telling Blake what happened. That might not be a good idea. His feelings for me, I have to keep them in mind.

“I was working on something for my single. Why didn’t she leave her room?” He played it off as innocent, pulling the safe route.

Blake gave him another unconvinced look but said, “She locked herself in there for over two hours up until right before the show. She was still upset from last night. I take it you haven’t talked to her?”

Adam hated lying to him; Blake was his best friend besides his band members, and maybe even more so than them. However, he didn’t want to say anything yet. He settled with shaking his head, keeping his eyes trained on the stage behind Blake.

He was saved a moment later when she came bouncing back on stage. She plopped down in her seat and smiled at Blake and Adam. Blake returned the smile, then turned his body so his back was almost to her. He mouthed something to Adam, then went and sat in his chair, the lights going dim and the crowd settling down.

Adam spent the rest of the show with three things on his mind: the fact that he was in risk of losing some of his people because it was results night, his revelation with Shakira, and what the hell Blake had said to him.

The show ended a half hour later, and Adam reveled in the fact that he managed to keep four of his members. He talked to his remaining people for a few minutes then jogged off stage, eager to shove it in Blake’s face, whom only had three contestants left. As soon as he went through the side door, he stopped short.

And came face to face with a pissed looking Usher.

Suddenly concerned, Adam asked, “What’s the matter?” He swallowed, now extremely nervous. He hadn’t paid much attention to what the guy had been up to; for all he knew, Usher knew everything.

“Would you like to tell me what is going on? I overheard Shakira and Gerard a minute ago. I know Blake was lying yesterday. And you were oddly absent earlier when we couldn’t get her out of her room. Where were you? And I’d be damned if you didn’t have something to do with her mood, Levine.”

Adam was stunned into silence. He had no idea what the hell to say to Usher. He cleared his throat and sighed, looking up at the other judge.

“I think I have some explaining to do.”

***

“Why didn’t anyone say anything? Why was I left out? You better have a damn good reason.” Adam had never really seen Usher mad. It sort of scared him. He was naturally intimidating.